We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Help

Kommetjie, South...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Help

Hi Guys,

My boyfriend and I are arriving in Munich on the 26th December, and will be spending two days in Munich, then moving down into Austria for about 6-7 days. After that we will be moving up into Prague for our final 3 days and will then fly home.

We have not booked our accommodation as we have not finalized our itinerary yet.

But we are trying to set up a budget on what money we need excluding accommodation.

We are not looking to eat in fancy restaurants - more local food.

We need to travel by train throughout our whole trip (unless a car will be cheaper?)

Is it possible to help us with a guideline on how much things cost?

I really appreciate all the help we can get!

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Help

Here are some typical prices for Munich:

numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp…

So restaurant prices are much higher than in South Africa but still lower than in many other European countries. In Austria, food is somewhat more expensive, but petrol is cheaper.

Some museums and other sights are free, but many charge entries fees that are usually between €5 and €10. Depends on the place.

With public transport it really depends. While flexible point-to-point train tickets can be very expensive, there are many specials for local trains (like the Bayern ticket) and savings fares for long distance trains that are booked well in advance.

Check out the Deutsche Bahn website https://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml and its Austrian and Czech counterparts for details or do a search on the forum.

If you are thinking of renting a car consider the following:

- You do not need one in Munich or Prague, but it could be convenient in the Austrian countryside

- There will be wintery conditions in the Alps, maybe also in other areas

- German rentals may sometimes not be driven into the Czech Republic

- Renting a car in one country and dropping it off in another can be very expensive

- AFAIK you need an international driver's licence for Austria

Kommetjie, South...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Help

Thank you for your help.

Do you reckon that the website is pretty accurate? And are more local places cheaper for food? We are not looking at eating in restaurants, more local food.

Would you say that travelling by train the entire route would work - is it reliable? And will be the most affordable?

Thank you for your help. :)

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Help

I believe the website is quite accurate. Local food: This is not necessarily the cheapest. Fruit and vegetables from Germany, bought at a market stall or in a small shop, is usually more expensive than what you find in the supermarket.

To give you an idea, here is leaflet from a supermarket chain listing the specials:

edeka.de/EDEKA/…digitale_handzettel.jsp

You do not say where you intend to go in Austria. Therefore I cannot tell you if it is feasible by train, but most likely it is.

Most overseas visitors think that German trains are very reliable, while many locals will tell you otherwise, so I guess it depends on what you expect and what you are used to.

4. Re: Travel Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 05:15