We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in December

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks in December

We're planning to travel in or around Germany for two weeks in early December, flying in and out of Munich.

I've changed the itinerary at least six times already -- starting to accept that I will not be able to see everything and am looking for help in narrowing down the list.

Our primary interest is the Christmas Markets, followed by museums, and then outdoor photography (nature and interesting buildings).

Plan A was Munich - Cologne - Hamburg - Berlin - Dresden - Munich.

Plan B was Munich - Salzburg - Prague - Munich (open to leaving Germany but only if it does not add too much complication to the planning).

Plan C was Munich - Berlin - Munich.

Plan D was to stay in Munich for the entire time and explore the surrounding region through day trips via train.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in December

All of these towns offer Christmas markets and great museums. The market in Prague is a bit smaller and different. It's not exactly like the German markets but the town is always worth a visit, no matter which time of the year.

Having said that I would not focus on the quality of Christmas markets. The big ones are similar in the whole country. The surrounding buildings(churches/houses) often create an atmosphere which is better in some towns than in others. The small markets in neighborhoods or small towns, sometimes only lasting one-two days, are often the most beautiful ones but difficult to explore/find as a tourist.

I would rather plan your trip around your other interests and with regard to climate.

It's only statistics but Cologne and Hamburg belong to the mildest German places in winter. Munich, Berlin, Dresden, Prague(Czech R.) are colder in winter time and the chance of snow is much higher, though never granted. Thus I would skip Cologne and Hamburg in December.

If you plan to go by train: There is no direct connection Salzburg-Prague but you would have to return to Munich.

You could easily spend two weeks in Bavaria. f.i. one base in the south(Munich) and one in the north(Nuremberg) with day trips to Bamberg, Regensburg...

With regard to your plans a, b,c : Nuremberg is connected with Dresden and Prague by direct trains (Dresden) and direct buses (Prague, reservation for bus needed). Thus you could easily do a trip Munich-Nuremberg-Prague/Dresden (or both, it's a 2.5 hours train ride between Dresden and Prague).

2. Re: Two weeks in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:17