We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying rail tickets on-line - Germany

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Buying rail tickets on-line - Germany

I have compared a German Rail Pass with buying individual rail tickets on-line from DB BAHN. It seems individual tickets are less expensive overall. Are there any problems associated with this strategy in terms of purchasing and then relying on printing tickets? The website states that a passport can't be used as identification but it seems the credit card used for the transaction can be used for identification. Any advice on this topic would be appreciated.

Aussie Train Traveller

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying rail tickets on-line - Germany

"Are there any problems associated with this strategy in terms of purchasing and then relying on printing tickets?"

I see no problem travelling a lot by train in this country.

Just be sure that in case you buy the so called saver fare tickets that you are tied to a specific long distance train (e.g. ICE/IC/EC) - you miss it then there is a problem (not applies if you miss a connecting long distance trains due to delays of another train).

Also make sure, that you have the credit card you use when booking tickets, as you you will need to for identification. As you saw already no passports are good for identification.

But besides I cannot think of anything else.

Just one note: when you book you may want to register as in that case all your bookings are shown in your history and if you e.g. loose your printouts you can track them more easily on the website or, if you have a smartphone, even in the DB app.

You can still track them when you have the reference number without registering but it makes it easier.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 12:50
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying rail tickets on-line - Germany

Thank you Michaela for your response, it is helpful for my decision-making.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying rail tickets on-line - Germany

Hello Madalena

I bought point to point tickets for 6 weeks of train travel through Germany online - dead easy and no problems at all with printed tickets. Re your ID - on the train (there are no ticket barriers in Germany) the conductor will scan the 'barcode' at the top of the ticket ad swipe your credit card - this is to avoid people printing multiple tickets to try and defraud DBahn - make suer that if your cc expires between when you buy the tickets and when you travel you also take the old card - the one you used to purchase the tickets.

Get in 92 days ahead for the very best prices - mark your diary and buy the ones that become available on each day. Do be aware that a new timetable comes out in mid October so if it appears you cant buy tickets for your trip dates, this may be why - just keep an eye out or register for notifications that the new TT has been published.

Also, if you can manage your trip with only a back pack and a smallish roller bag (I took a wheelie backpack) your life will be much easier - train aisles are not overly wide and schlepping a great big wheelie case up & down the aisle while you locate your seats is not for the faint hearted. On the long legs (or those which you think may be popular at the time you are travelling) I would highly recommend paying the extra (small) charge and reserving a seat - particularly if you are travelling with others - this way you can guarantee that you will all be sitting together.

You'll find lots of posts on German trains if you use the search box (directly above your post - something that, as a newbie you may not have seen yet) look for posts by Abalada and the Man in seat 61 - great info,

and finally - www.seat61.com has fantastic info on train travel and is worth a read

cheers

helen

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying rail tickets on-line - Germany

Hi Helen

Your advice is most helpful and reassuring. The website you mention is just great - full of useful information.

Cheers Madalena

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying rail tickets on-line - Germany

Used to by rail passes, haven't in a few trips no problems in point to point tickets. Printing off I have never had a problem.

6. Re: Buying rail tickets on-line - Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 05:16