We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bern or the Black Forest

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Bern or the Black Forest

I've got 1 day and 1 night to enjoy either Bern or the Black Forest.

If we were to stay in the Black Forest I'd say we'd head for Baden-Baden following the reccomendation of 'Huwe.

Which should I go for? Bern or the Black Forest?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,455 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bern or the Black Forest

It really depends on what YOU want to see. Bern is a small city and the Black Forest a low mountain range. Bern is a good place to visit on a rainy day as you can walk under the arcades and stay dry. For the Black Forest I would prefer quaint villages or small towns, probably best done by car. Baden Baden is an interesting town to visit itself.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bern or the Black Forest

Bern has a nice old town , but for this purpose you don't have to travel that long.

For an impression of Switzerland, i would prefer Luzern. It has it all, the lake, a beautiful old town and the mountains. Travel times to Bern and Luzern are about the same.

>Which should I go for?<

It is probably also a question of the length of the trip, but i would prefer Luzern to Baden-Baden and Baden-Baden to Bern.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bern or the Black Forest

I forgot to insert the link:

http://www.luzern.org/en/welcome.cfm?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bern or the Black Forest

We are actually going to Luzern as well. We're spending about a week in Switzerland visiting Interlaken region, Zermatt, Glacier express and Luzern.

My only thought is that maybe one day and one night wouldn't be enough to see much of the Black Forest

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bern or the Black Forest

You might well be right that it is hard to see much of the Black Forest in a single day; but, a drive through will give you feel for its rolling green hills and scattered homesteads.

Bern can be a magical place with its covered sidewalks and colorful statues. It is perched over an Aare River canyon with dramatic views.

These are both beautiful places.

Regards, Gary

6. Re: Bern or the Black Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 07:17