We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kirsch Wein? (Cherry Wine?)

Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Kirsch Wein? (Cherry Wine?)

When I went to Germany a few years ago I took a trip to the Blackforest. I baught some wine that came in a set of three different berry flavors in green bottles. I remember the name of one was "KIRSCH WEIN". I'm trying to find a website where I can purchase the wine. Does anyone know of a good website?

please email me at

labyrinthbrown@yahoo.com

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kirsch Wein? (Cherry Wine?)

You sure it wasn't schnapps.

Kirsch Wasser

One of the big ingredients of Black Forest Cake.

Remember in the States we have a ton of schnapps but all of them are overly flavored. All the German schnapps have a subdued flavor of the fruit but are potent. They are all mostly clear. I usually get mine at the duty free in Germany. In the States get it at a German store (New Braunfels, etc).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,935 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kirsch Wein? (Cherry Wine?)

I drink a small amount of Brombeer (blackberry) wine all the time. (For me it's too sweet but pleasant, not nearly as good as some others from California which were lovely.) I don't think that the maker of this wine, however, is in the Black Forest. They also make a horrible Heidelbeer (blueberry) wine, Kirsch (cherry) wine, and I believe one more flavor. I've never had their cherry wine. However, these wines are very cheap (about 2€/0.75 liters) and not worth the shipping price even if you liked them. This company is Katlenburger ( www.katlenburger.de ) in Katlenburg.

A friend of mine years ago worked at San Martin Winery in San Martin, California, and they made lots of different types of fruit wine. Unfortunately, I don't like much fruit wine because it tends to be over sweet, but their pomegranate Gran Pomo was excellent. I've also had bad home made cherry wine, and I made it once myself and it was excellent, not the usual over sweet, but something more like a good grape wine with nice subtle overtones that constantly changed as it aged (actually, the cherries came from plants from Germany as a former owner of our house in California was German). You might like to try doing it yourself!

I know that Michigan also produces fruit wines on the east side of Lake Michigan. It's probably best to just search in your local liquor stores for one.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kirsch Wein? (Cherry Wine?)

There is cherry wine that is like regular wine but made with cherries. It is not distilled like kirschwasser.

Cherry wine is not that common but any place that has fruit wines should have it, most wine sites on the internet should have a few or any large alcohol store should have some. Not from necessarily from Germany but unless a real connoisseur of wines will probably not be able to tell the difference.

Now for German made items you have the above kirshwasser which personally I cannot taste any cherry from and at a 40%-50% alcohol is not sweet or winy.

You also have kirsche likor that are in the 16-20% alcohol range which taste like cherry and comes from north germany. It fairly common one of these is made by Berentzen which is common in the US, mainly for their apple likors

virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kirsch Wein? (Cherry Wine?)

If you find out anything please let me know. strostad@hotmail.com. I absolutely love this wine. Manischewitz Wine has a cherry wine that is real close. The cherry is hard to find though. I can find the blackberry and the grape. In upper Virginia and New Jersey I have found it.

5. Re: Kirsch Wein? (Cherry Wine?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2010, 05:18