We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich to Switzerland via the Black Forest

ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Munich to Switzerland via the Black Forest

We will be in Munich for 4 nights in September. Next we are traveling to Wengen, Switzerland by train. I've heard the Black Forest is amazing and I was wondering if it is worth it for us to rent a car in Munich and drive to the northern part of the Black Forest and explore part of it and then take the train and continue onto Switzerland. Does this sound like a good plan? Where should we drive to to start the Black Forest and where should we drop off a rental car and grab a train to Switzerland? We thought we could leave Munich in the morning and we don't have to be in Wengen at any certain time. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich to Switzerland via the Black Forest

... all this in one single day?

You would waste about the entire day travelling. Unless you can include at least one night in the Black Forest this is not worth the hassle.

Edited: 19 July 2010, 00:05
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,607 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich to Switzerland via the Black Forest

Black Forest is nice, but there is more amazing scenery on the direct route. And it is a major detour. Plus you if traveling via Bern you miss the scenic railroads you have on the route via Lucerne.

A scenic route to Wengen:

- Munich - Lindau

(the train station of Lindau is directly on this island)

http://web20.icserver3.de/index.php?sid=1027

- Lindau - Friedrichshafen

…academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/70/Friedrichsha…

In the harbor station building there is the interesting Zeppelin Museum.

http://www.zeppelin-museum.de/home_en.0.html

- Ferry Friedrichshafen - Romanshorn

This was once a train ferry. Only cars and passengers today, but still a ferry from one train station to the other one.

- Pre-Alpine Express Romanhorn - Lucerne

www.voralpen-express.ch/index.php?TPL=10097

www.voralpen-express.ch/index.php…

- Golden-Pass Line / Zentralbahn Lucerne - Interlaken

www.goldenpass.ch/CMS/default.asp?ID=359

- Jungfraubahn Interlaken - Wengen

www.jungfrau.ch/de/ResourceImage.aspx…

Not the fastest route (changes, ferry, narrow gauge cog-wheel trains) but the shortest (and with p2p standard fare tickets also the cheapest).

Edited: 19 July 2010, 00:11
ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich to Switzerland via the Black Forest

Hi! Thanks for your advise. I think we are going to pass on the Black Forest. I'm a little confused about the train systems. We were thinking of buying a Select pass for 3 countries(after Switzerland we are going to Paris via train). On Eurail, if I put in Munich to Wengen, I get a different series of changes. With your itinerary do we book the trip going each destination to the next destination? How do we book the ferry? Can we use the Eurail pass for all of this? Also, if we wanted to stop along the way for a little time is there somewhere to store our luggage? I've never done this before so I find it hard. Thanks in advance for your imput.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,607 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich to Switzerland via the Black Forest

> On Eurail, if I put in Munich to Wengen, I get a different series of changes.

Use the DB timetable. But also here you have to query in steps, as the timetable will always default to the fastest option.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Lindau Hbf

To: Friedrichshafen Hafen

To: Romanshorn

To: Luzern

To: Interlaken Ost

To: Wengen(CH)

All these routes are served at least hourly. For the trips from Romanshorn to Luzern and Luzern to Interlaken Ost go to the "Advanced selection of means of transport" and change there "admit changes" into "direct connections". The timetable has no "feel" for scenery. E.g. between Luzern and Interlaken it would sent you the via the 1 minute faster detour via Bern. Far less scenic and with 1 change of trains.

> With your itinerary do we book the trip going each destination to the next destination? How do we book the ferry?

You don't have to book anything on this route. On the ferry and regional trains reservations are even not possible.

> Can we use the Eurail pass for all of this?

Yes. The trains are all fully covered and you get a 50% discount for the ferry (which will be thus EUR 3,90 pp for you). By the way the "normal" train route would be not fully covered either, as it goes via Bregenz through Austria which is not covered by your Eurail Pass.

> Also, if we wanted to stop along the way for a little time is there somewhere to store our luggage?

More than a "little time" is also not really possible. Lindau and Luzern stations have luggage lockers. At Friedrichshafen Hafen station the Zeppelin-Museum has lockers. All 3 stations are directly at the lake shores (of Lake Constance / Lake Lucerne). That's actually also true for Romanshorn and (nearly) for Interlaken Ost (Interlaken means anyway "between the lakes") but these 2 places are not worth a stopover.

Edited: 19 July 2010, 20:22
ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich to Switzerland via the Black Forest

Thanks for the information. I tried to go one the website you gave me but it doesn't seem to work. When I put in Munich to Wengen you can put via... twice but I'm not sure what to put in. I appreciate the help. Thanks again.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,607 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich to Switzerland via the Black Forest

That's exactly why I wrote: "Use the DB timetable. But also here you have to query in steps, ..."

Thus from/to the steps (stops/stations) I listed. I.e. multiple queries. See also what I wrote about querying for direct connections between Romanshorn and Luzern and Luzern and Interlaken Ost. To get here the right route with via stations is even more complicated as there are many detour options. Some parts are served strictly hourly.

ferry Friedrichshafen Hafen - Romanshorn

hourly dep at :41

travel time is 41 minutes

Pre-Alpine Express Romanshorn - Luzern

hourly dep at :34

travel time is 2:46

Golden Pass/Zentralbahn Luzern - Interlaken Ost

hourly dep at :55

travel time is 2:00

7. Re: Munich to Switzerland via the Black Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2011, 06:17