We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which town to stay in?

Shetland Islands...
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
which town to stay in?

We will spend a week in this area from 31 March to 7 April. We had intended to stay in Freiburg but have learned about the KONUS card so would prefer to stay in one of the towns covered by it so we can benefit from the free travel.

We are looking for a small town with shops, cafes and some things for our kids to do. They are 10 and 12 and relatively easily pleased. We are doing our travelling by train/bus so would need to be easily accessible by public transport. Somewhere not too far from Freiburg ideally.

When in the region we would like to go on Hasenhorn Rodelbahn, visit Schauinisland, do some shortish walks plus visit Basel and maybe Colmar.

Any suggestions on towns we could stay in?

Or should we forget KONUS and just stay in Freiburg?

thanks for any help you can give

Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which town to stay in?

I stayed in the village of Elzach (wiki says: Elzach is a town in the district of Emmendingen, in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is situated on the river Elz, 26 km northeast of Freiburg.)

It was very convenient to have the Kronus card as i was doing a lot of hiking and with the card i could hike to the next valley and return by bus and so was able to extend my range. The village does have some cute shops and nice restaurant, but not too much for the kids (of course i wasn't looking for it either).

Personally, I would stay outside of Freiberg as the cost was a factor for me. Also i wanted the "slow peaceful quiet life". I stayed at a small working farm that rented out rooms (pension) it came with breakfast, and my rate for a room with shared bath and WC was 15 Euros per night.

One of my friends stayed at a working farm also and his kids played/helped with the farmer/farm animals, so he said his kids loved it.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,552 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which town to stay in?

Have a look at Staufen and the Münster valley: http://www.en.muenstertal-staufen.de/

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which town to stay in?

Bad Krozingen is a little spa town 18 km out of Freiburg. It has a nice thermal bath, shopping facilities, restaurants etc. and there are frequent trains to Freiburg and Basel, as well.

http://www.bad-krozingen.info/eng

4. Re: which town to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 10:33