We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit from Bad Krozingen (Black Forest)

Toronto
Level Contributor
915 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Places to visit from Bad Krozingen (Black Forest)

Our family we'll be staying for 7 nights in Bad Krozingen in August.

We like nature, castles, old towns and churches (not so much museums)....

We'll have car.

I was thinking to have trips:

1. France (colmar, Strassbourg)

2. Switzerland (Basel, Lucerne, maybe Bern)

3. Heidelberg, Baden-Baden, Freiburg

4. Optional Hohenzollern Castle, Mainau (a little bit too far)

What other nice places you'd recommend to visit?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit from Bad Krozingen (Black Forest)

How about a bit of the Black Forest, which so far is not included in your list at all...? There is no need to spend hours on the road to reach places far away, there is enough in the nearer surroundings. Besides, each of your four entries is far too much to do in one day.

Some recommendations within the Black Forest:

Staufen, the old town next door, and just beyond, the Münster Valley with St Trudpert abbey and picture-book Black Forest landscape

Cable car up Schauinsland, Freiburg's house mountain

Feldberg, the highest elevation in the Black Forest

Schluchsee

Tourist-trappy Titisee is better skipped, but the Höllental route is quite spectacular.

The landscape around St Peter and St Märgen and the valley of Simonswald - just as picture-book like as Münster valley

Further North in the Kinzig valley, small old towns like Gengenbach, Schiltach, Wolfach, and the museum village of Vogtsbauernhof near Hausach

Outside the Black Forest:

The ancient Roman site of Augusta Raurica in Kaiseraugst on the Swiss side

If youa re into wine, Kaiserstuhl, plus the old town of Breisach

Climb up to Hohenbaden castle when you are in Baden-Baden.

Alsace has a lot more than just the two cities mentioned, for example the wine villages, and if you enjoy open-air museum villages with real old houses fully furnitured and equipped as in former times, Ecomusée d'Alsace near Mulhouse.

Toronto
Level Contributor
915 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit from Bad Krozingen (Black Forest)

Thank you!

I'll do research on places you indicated.

Can we drive to summits of mountains like Schauinsland or Feldberg?

In Alsace i was planning to take scenic road from Back-Roads France (DK publishing)

From what I checked drive to Basel is not too far ...less than 50min ,

should be fine

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,940 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit from Bad Krozingen (Black Forest)

http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/

http://www.blackforesthighlands.info/

You can drive pretty close to the summit of the Schauinsland.

As you stay in Bad Krotzingen you'll get KONUS guest cards

http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/konus

For trips into bigger cities like Freiburg or Basel a good idea. No hassle with parking. And in Freiburg also the trams and buses are covered.

Family? With kids? 10+ (up to adults still liking roller coasters)? Than Europa-Park is also a must do.

http://www.europapark.com/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit from Bad Krozingen (Black Forest)

Visiting things IN the Black Forest is a good idea, otherwise why not just stay elsewhere?

For Alsace, there are many excellent picturesque old small towns and villages a few minutes apart between Obernai and Eguisheim, and also the mountain top Haut Koenigsbourg Fortress.

A visit to fairytale-like Hohenzollern Castle ( www.burg-hohenzollern.com ) by Hechingen can easily be combined with a visit to the excellent old town of Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ), the lovely well-preserved medieval monastery Bebenhausen (in www.kloster-bebenhausen.de/en/268053.html ) nextdoor to Tuebingen, another fairytale-like castle Lichtenstein ( www.schloss-lichtenstein.de ) just east of Reutlingen, and/or the moated castle/palace at Glatt ( black-forest-travel.com/sulz/glatt.html ) which is actually within the boundaries of the Black Forest.

Hohenzollern castle/palace (in www.hohenzollern.com ) is at a lovely drive between Tuttlingen and Sigmaringen. From there you can take the back roads through Heiligenberg ( http://www.heiligenberg.de/data/index.php -palace) and Salem ( www.schloesser-magazin.de/en/344312.html - palace, monastery, church at one location) to Meersburg ( www.meersburg.de ), the loveliest town on Lake Constance which has Germany's oldest castle. From there a boat will take you on the short ride to the garden island of Mainau ( www.mainau.de ). Am alternative route to Meersburg would be via Singen with its nextdoor largest German castle ruin, mountaintop Hohentwiel Fortress ( festungsruine-hohentwiel.de/en/267928.html ), which sits atop a former volcano.

As with the other places you mentioned that I did not want to comment on, a minimum of three days would be best to enjoy many of the excellent sights, many which I didn't mention.

Toronto
Level Contributor
915 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit from Bad Krozingen (Black Forest)

Thanj you for replays!

Our next stop will be Oberreute, and I didnèt decide if we gonna visit Mainau from B. Krozingen or Oberreute....

Anyway , I;d like to ask experts how better to get to Mainau:

1. Drive to Konstanz and park there and walk to Mainau

2. Park in Meersbourg and take a ferry to Mainau

3. Drive to Meersbourg and take ferry (with car) to Konstanz (I need to check with Budget rental if I allowed to use ferry).

where easier to find parking in Meersbourg or Konstanz?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit from Bad Krozingen (Black Forest)

Oberreute is nowhere near Mainau either. The most sensible option would be visiting Mainau and either Konstanz or Meersburg as a stopover on the way from Bad Krozingen to Oberreute.

Walking from Konstanz to Mainau is not an option, too far. But since you are by car anyway, park in the parking lot on the lake bank next to Mainau island and just walk over the bridge.

For some more lake experience, you can take the cruise boat from both Meersburg and Konstanz centre to Mainau island and back, or from Mainau to Meersburg or Konstanz and back - depending where you have parked your car. (That's the disadvantage of car travel, you always have to return to where the car is...)

Or - probably the best option - go to Mainau, park there, see Mainau, get the car and take the car ferrry over to Meersburg, a quick walk of Meersburg, continue journey.

I see no reason why the rental company should not allow using the car ferry.

Toronto
Level Contributor
915 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit from Bad Krozingen (Black Forest)

Yes, it can be a good idea to visit Mainau on the way from B. Krozingen to Oberreute.

I don't know why....but when I was renting cars in Europe in the past, it was always specified that I'm not allowed to take ferries. I need to double-check when renting car.

Question regarding KONUS.... it's not a lot of info in the links provided.... Am I really can take free train to Basel with this card?

Toronto
Level Contributor
915 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to visit from Bad Krozingen (Black Forest)

Generall speaking, which side of Bodensee is more spectacular for driving? German's or Swiss?

9. Re: Places to visit from Bad Krozingen (Black Forest)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 16:41