We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to take for a one day trip

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Best route to take for a one day trip

We'll be based in Basel and we plan to do a one day outing to the black forest. Not really interested in hiking. We're more interested in museums and seeing quaint german towns and eating german food. We're travelling with three children ages 5, 7 and 10. We won't have a car. My initial though was to travel Basel to Freiburg. See the town. Travel to Staufen. Back to Freiburg (as I think we need to for the train). Then travel Triberg-Gengenbach-Offenburg. Then either back to basel or to Strasbourg and then from there to Basel. My problem is that I'm having difficulty planning the route becauuse it seems that all trains from Frieburg to Triberg go through Offenburg. I'd like to eliminate backtracking if I can.

Can anyone suggest a good route to take?

Does this day trip look ok or should we add or delete something?

And recommendations would be wonderful!

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best route to take for a one day trip

Sorry, also meant to ask. What are your thoughts on Offenburg? Would you stop there along the way or would you keep going to Gengenbach or Frieburg? Or Strasbourg I guess for that matter?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,544 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Best route to take for a one day trip

Strasbourg needs most of a day, do that either as a separate day trip or not at all. Your plan is, as we told you before, far too much for a day trip. Even by car. And Offenburg is the first on the list to be cut out.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,182 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best route to take for a one day trip

Like most towns Gengenbach has reasonably private B&B's that offer 2-4 rooms. A simple place like this one runs 15-25€ per person per night with breakfast. There's often a surcharge for "short stays" of a Euro or two. This one is very close to the station and the waterpark:

www3.toubiz.de/stg/en/house.php?id_house=7054

This one appears to be within walking distance:

www3.toubiz.de/stg/en/house.php?id_house=7056

This apartment is big enough and is close in too:

www3.toubiz.de/stg/en/house.php…

Contact Gengenbach's TI office for advice/assistance?

www.stadt-gengenbach.de/en/tourism/service/

Offenburg is quite modern and doesn't offer much but a place to change trains. But if you can find accommodations there that suit you, it could be a convenient base. A poster named Valtor wrote this trip report about his experience using Offenburg as a base (he liked it very much.)

fodors.com/community/europe/our-vacation-in-…

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best route to take for a one day trip

Blandine Forbe - I do realize I had too much put into one day which was why I was considering Offenburg, Gengenbach and Strausbourg as places to stop overnight. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

Russ - Thank you so much for the links! I think Gengenbach would be a perfect place to stay the night and the prices are quite reasonable. I'd have to look into whether we would get a konus card though. We may head Basel-Gengenbach, drop luggage. Visit the town. Head to Triberg for rest of the day, maybe stopping at the open air museum on the way back if there is time. Then head to Gengenbach for dinner and the night. After breakfast in the morning we could either go to Strasbourg til after lunch and then Frieburg for a few hours and back to Basel or we could simply make it a shorter day and head from Gengenbach to Frieburg til after lunch and back to Basel.

If a Konus card is not available from an apartment such as those linked, would a B-W ticket for two days be the best option for travel? Would the B-W ticket get us back to Basel SBB or just as far as Basel Bad?

Thanks again for all your help.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,544 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Best route to take for a one day trip

Ok with an overnight this sounds better, still ambitious but more realistic. Anyway, I'd pick either Strasbourg or Freiburg (sp) for the second day.

A Baden-Württemberg Ticket gets you to Basel SBB. It does, however, not get you to Strasbourg, only to the last stop before the border (Kehl) so you'd need addiitional tickets for Kehl-Strasbourg and back.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,182 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best route to take for a one day trip

"I'd have to look into whether we would get a konus card though."

If you stay in Gengenbach, you get a Konus card. It's automatic. Every accommodation listed with the TI has to participate (and charge you a tiny tax either included in the rental fee or on top of it.) Fill it out with your innkeeper and he/she issues it to you. The card gives you discounts on attractions as well. The Triberg waterfall is free with the card, and the Black Forest Museum discounted. The Konus card gets you to Basel - on the regional trains of course - no BW ticket needed (the use guidelines specifically stay that it can be used after your departure from your accommodations on that same day.)

Strasbourg: The "Europass Family 24 hr. mini" ticket is an daypass for 10€ that will get your family from Kehl (German border town) to Strasbourg and back using the regional trains. The Konus card will get you to Kehl (and after returning from Strasbourg, from Kehl to wherever within the Black Forest area.) (Note: It is not necessary to get off the train in Kehl if you're on a train from Offenburg to Strasbourg - you just need to have tickets covering every km of track with you.) You understand French, so here's the French/German webpage:

ortenaulinie.de/tgo_dateien/…20final.pdf

You can get this ticket at Offenburg's train station or in Genganbach - any of the TGO (local travel authority) machines should sell it.

Hope this helps and that you have a nice trip.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,182 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best route to take for a one day trip

I failed to answer your question about Basel SBB and Basel Bad. I'm sure it was fine to Basel SBB 2+ years ago when I used it to visit Basel. I will try to find some current info to confirm this is still true.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 06:16
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,182 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best route to take for a one day trip

Basel SBB does show up on the current area-of-validity map for the Konus card.

http://www.schwarzwald-tourismus.info/content/download/6355/61470/version/1/file/KONUS+Gebiet+ab+2012.pdf

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best route to take for a one day trip

Thanks again! You're a wealth of information!

I had actually been thinking this morning that we may just keep it as a day trip and visit only Triberg and Gengenbach and then head back to Basel. But knowing there is a cheap and easy way to see Strasbourg as well may make it worth staying overnight in Gengenbach. I noticed on the link that the family pass only covers two children on the route to Strasbourg so I've sent them an email to find out if there is a single child version of this pass or if we need to get two individual Europass Mini tickets so that each adult can have two children (which would cover all three of our kids). I'd hate to be on the train wihtout the proper number of tickets for the children.

So for now, it looks like we may do:

Day 1: Basel-Frieburg (for an hour or so)-Gengenbach (leave luggage at hotel)-train to Triberg for most of day - Gengenbach for dinner and the evening

Day 2 - Explore Gengenbach if yesterday ran too long-Strasbourg (3-4hrs)-back to Basel

For the Konus ticket to apply to that Strasbourg-Basel route I would think we'll have to return to Germany and head to Basel from there so do you think it would work to leave our luggage at the hotel in Gengenbach for our outing to Strasbourg, then go back to Gengenbach after Strasbourg and head to Basel from there?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,182 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best route to take for a one day trip

"For the Konus ticket to apply to that Strasbourg-Basel route I would think we'll have to return to Germany and head to Basel from there..."

Right.

"...so do you think it would work to leave our luggage at the hotel in Gengenbach for our outing to Strasbourg, then go back to Gengenbach after Strasbourg and head to Basel from there?"

I don't imagine you'll have much luggage on such a short trip. When you arrive at the Offenburg station, have your 1-2 bags with you and stow them in a locker there before catching your train to Strasbourg; fetch them on the way back. No backtracking to Gengenbach that way. Or take them with you to Strasbourg and find lockers there (I am uninformed about that possibility, however.) The Offenburg station DOES have lockers - I've used them.

BTW, you should probably make sure you have specific activities and sights in mind when you visit Strasbourg. It's a major city, and on the surface, I'd say more for adults. It wouldn't be my first choice with young kids, based on my brief experience there, but maybe enjoyable for them if you do some thoughtful planning?

Colmar is a smaller, more scenic alternative and is also easy and inexpensive to visit from Freiburg. Or maybe see some of the other spots that have been mentioned already in the BF. There's also a summertime bobsled ride near the Vogtsbauerhnhof open-air museum:

black-forest-travel.com/leisure/summer-coast…