We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to?

Belgium
Level Contributor
124 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Where to?

Hi , We plan to go to Black forest for 3 days trip.I know the time is short. But can you suggest the best fit places for these days and we plan to drive all over

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to?

You might like to start out with a drive on the Black Forest High Road between Baden-Baden and Freudenstadt. My favorite place to visit in the black Forest is the outdoor museum of centuries-old Black Forest farmhouses just to the south of Hausach. For a nice medieval town, try Gengenbach. The baroque monastery church at St. Peter is excellent, and also the library if it is open during your visit. Just south of Furtwangen you can turn off on a small road to the Hexenlochmuehle (water mill) which is an excellent drive. It's inbteresting to see how fast some of those belts driven by the waterwheel move, and they sell some local products. Then take the smaller road to Wildgutach, it doesn't get any more "Black Foresty" than this anymore.

And I'll paste what I wrote in reply to a similar post:

"A few of the places that I like in the Black Forest:

the outdoor museum of old Black Forest farmhouses just south of Hausach

the excellent church and library at the monastery at St. Peter

the excellent food at Germany's best restaurant, Schwarzwaldstube, at Hotel Traube Tonbach at Baiersbronn

the visitable underground mines- the old silver mine at Neubulach and the iron ore mine- Frisch Glück by Neuenbürg

for a glimpse of what the Black Forest was like before it was logged off and recent storms destroyed many of the evergreen trees- visit the Hexenlochmühle (water mill, it's amazing to see the speed of those water driven belts) and then take the narrow road along the river to Wildgutach, it doesn't get any more "Black Foresty" anymore than this

the ridgeline town of Horb am Neckar

Hermann Hesse's hometown of Calw

the small moated castle/palace at Glatt

the cathedral at Freiburg

Baden-Baden"

If you're interesting in visiting those mines, #1 of tripadvisor.com/…38948777 has their websites.

The official website for the Black Forest is www.schwarzwald-tourismus.info , and for Baden-Wuerttemberg, the state in which it lies- www.tourismus-bw.de and www.schloesser-magazin.de/en for the excellent castles, palaces, monasteries and gardens operated by them. If not already in English, these websites can be changed to it somewhere on the first page.

2. Re: Where to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 06:18