We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Bad Säckingen

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Bad Säckingen

I have just spent three extremely enjoyable nights in the Black Forest spa town of Bad Säckingen and thought I would write a few words to share my experiences with you.

Truth be told, the only reason I stayed in Bad Säckingen as I wanted somewhere cheaper than Basel itself to base myself from which to explore Basel. As it turned out, I much preferred Bad Säckingen over Basel on many different levels.

Basel, as is Switzerland as a whole, is incredibly expensive. I found myself watching my spending the entire time I spent there, when I am used to spending at will on holiday. I starved myself all day every day and ate each evening upon my return to Bad Säckingen which offers many different eating options in its historic centre.

As for sights, I found the Altstadt of Bad Säckingen far more charming than that of Basel. Bad Säckingen is a very small town and its sights can be seen in a few hours, but that does not detract from the fact that the town is breathtakingly beautiful. The centrepiece is arguably the cathedral (Fridolinsmünster), which stands grandly on Münsterplatz and whose interior of the Fridolinsmünster is intricately and lavishly decorated. The square on which the cathedral stands, Münsterplatz, is itself worthy of note, as are the cobbled streets which gravitate away from it, for their many richly decorated buildings. The Schlosspark offers a chance for a pleasant stroll amongst some greenery; a pedestrian walkway follows the bank of the Rhine for those who want to take in this waterway.

Another highlight for me is the Holzbrücke, which is a covered wooden bridge which connects the town of Bad Säckingen with the Swiss town of Stein on the opposite bank of the Rhine. A solid white line across the floor in the middle of the bridge marks the international border.

I stayed at the Hallwyler Hof, which is owned by the Bad Säckingen tourist board and stands directly next to the entrance to the Holzbrücke. The accommodation is immaculately clean and has been recently renovated.

All in all, I am overjoyed to have stumbled upon such an attractive town. I have now moved to Gengenbach, from where I will be exploring the Christmas markets of Freiburg im Breisgau, Strasbourg, Colmar and Gengenbach itself.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Bad Säckingen

Fantastic trip report , cant wait for the next one. We are spending time in the Black Forest next May and this report has been very helpful, thanks

Edited: 28 November 2013, 11:24
Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Bad Säckingen

Where are you staying in Gengenbach? We will be in the Black Forest in May and are thinking of spending a few days in Gengenbach?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Bad Säckingen

In Gengenbach I am staying here:

http://www.urlaub-ratskanzlei.de/

It is in a superb location right in the heart of the town and is incredibly good value.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: Bad Säckingen

How did you book this accommodation in Gengenbach? On the wesite it states only by phone.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: Bad Säckingen

I phoned and booked the accommodation over the phone. I speak German so I had no problem doing so. I have no idea if the owners speak English to be honest, as I have only ever spoken German to them both over the phone and here in person.

Florida
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: Bad Säckingen

Can you tell me f this is the pace of A. wink? I don't speak German, but after reading so much about the place I would like to stay there in Sept.2014 for one week. Is it an apartment or a room with breakfast? Is it far from the Old Town? Thank you for taking the time while on your holiday to answer my questions. Holly

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: Bad Säckingen

I was just going through some of my previous posts and happened upon your question, Holly.

Apologies for not answering back when you asked, but yes, the property at which I stayed in Gengenbach is owned by Annette Wink. It has two apartments and stands directly in the heart of the old town. Breakfast is not provided, but there are numerous bakeries within a couple of minutes' walk which are open early in the morning.

Here is a link to the website:

http://www.urlaub-ratskanzlei.de/

8. Re: Trip Report: Bad Säckingen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 07:19