We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 day trip - Mostly in germany - Advise needed

Which Freiburg im Breisgau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
16 day trip - Mostly in germany - Advise needed

Friends,

This is my 3rd trip to europe and second trip to germany.Last time we visited in munich/fossen/castles and had a great time.

This time,we are planning to focus more on exploring the natural beauty/castles of germany and have come up with the below plan..The no of days planned for the trip is 17days/16 nights.Me,wife and our lil 1 year old are included and we intend to take a car hire from freiburg to start with and leave the car at cologne before we head to netherlands.

Below is rough itinerary planned :

Destination Nights of Accomodation

Zurich, Switzerland 18,19,20 April

Freiburg, Germany hire a car from freiburg

Black Forest, Germany

Singen, Germany 21,22 stay at singen

Constance, Germany

Lake Constance, Reichenau, Austria

Lindau, Germany

Oberstaufen, Germany

Füssen, Germany 23,24,25 stay at fussen

Oberammergau, Germany

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany

Bad Tölz-Wolfratshausen, Germany

Ettal, Germany

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany

Augsburg, Germany

Nördlingen, Germany

Dinkelsbühler Straße,

Rothenburg, Germany 26,27 stay at rothenburg..

Würzburg, Germany

Heidelberg, Germany 28,29 stay at heidelberg

Rüdesheim, Germany

Koblenz, Germany

Cologne, Germany 30 stay at cologne

Amsterdam,Netherlands 1,2,3 May stay at amsterdam

Fly back home 4

Questions I have :

1. Is the above itinerary aggressive ? as my priority is to relax and travel especially for our toddler.If not what all places are the places not to be missed and which all are optional.For us nature visit like fossen comes as priority and castles visit could be flexible..

2. Which places are the best to stay for the above itinerary.I am not sure at this moment whether the above places where I have mention to stay would be appropriate to visit the nearby areas..Again we prefer to stay close to the nature and not in town/city etc and for minimum 2-3 days so as to do away the repacking part.

3. Our intention is to reach amsterdam for the tulip fest and to be there on 2-3rd as there is a flower float/festival during that time and then fly back home.

We will be flying in to zurich and flying out from amsterdam....

Thanks in advance for your valuable response.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 day trip - Mostly in germany - Advise needed

The route look takes you to some interesting places, but I think you are trying to pack too much some of your days.

E.g. you have one day to get from Zürich to Freiburg, visit Freiburg and drive through the Black forest to Singen. You will not be able to see much of the scenery.

Driving from Füssen to Rothenburg and visiting Augsburg, Nördlingen and Dinkelsbühl on the way does not sound very relaxing, even though these are really great places to visit. The drive alone takes about 4 hours.

In the Middle Rhine valley you should also visit some of the small towns between Rüdesheim and Koblenz. There are car ferries in several locations, so I would recommend driving from Rüdesheim to Kaub on the right bank of the river, ferry to the left bank, then visit Bacharach, Oberwesel, St. Goar or Boppard. Or stay on the right bank and visit Braubach with the Marksburg.

2. Re: 16 day trip - Mostly in germany - Advise needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 05:27