We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train - Frankfurt airport to Heidelberg

Winona, Minnesota
3 posts
Save Topic
Train - Frankfurt airport to Heidelberg

Will be traveling to Heidelberg Sunday, June 20 from the USA, and plan to take the train from Frankfurt airport. Two questions:

1. Do I need to book train tickets in advance, or can I simply purchase them upon my arrival in Frankfurt?

2. Is there a train station located directly at the airport, or do I need transport (taxi, shuttle, etc.) from the airport to a train station?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train - Frankfurt airport to Heidelberg

You can book the tickets on your arrival.

There are two rail stations at the airport. Both are easily reached on foot at the airport.

The Regionalbahnhof serves the local area including Frankfurt city center.

The Long Distance rail station is called the Fernbahnhof.

You can check train times and prices at the German Rail website, there is an English language option ( www.bahn.de ) . The quickest journeys take the fast ICE trains from the airport to Mannheim, where you change to go to Heidelberg. The ICE trains leave from the Long Distance station.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Mannheim
Mannheim
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train - Frankfurt airport to Heidelberg

another option I use and like is the "Lufthansa Bus" (now a van) that goes directly from the airport (right outside on the curb from the terminal) and directly to Crown Plaza Hotel in Heidelberg. It runs each hour and is a bit less hassle than the train (ie no changes). You should make reservations in advance however: (you can do it my email)

lufthansa-airportbus.com/strecken_heidelberg…

Mentioned in this post
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
Winona, Minnesota
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train - Frankfurt airport to Heidelberg

Thanks Teleport and NYNM. I appreciate your insight!

4. Re: Train - Frankfurt airport to Heidelberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2010, 06:16