We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neckar river castle cruise

R J
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Neckar river castle cruise

I am curious if anyone knows anything about the river cruise to Neckarsteinach from Heidelberg. Once you arrive, which of the castles can you tour and how do you get to them? I also have read that you can take the train back to Heidelberg, which I assume would be faster than returning by boat?? How far is the station from where the castles are located?

Thanks.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,071 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Neckar river castle cruise

http://www.rnf-schifffahrt.de/#!linienfahrten_burgenfahrten_en

Neckarsteinach

neckarsteinach.com/tourismus/…

map

neckarsteinach.com/fileadmin/user_upload_nec…

The boats dock at the town center. The boat docking area is labelled "Schiffsanlegestelle" on the map.

You can tour the ruins of the Hinterburg and Burg Schadeck (Schwalbennest).

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

Hinterburg has a over 20 m high Bergfried (castle tower) which is accessible. These 2 castles are owned by the state Hesse. The Mittelburg and Vorderburg are privately owned and inhabited and cannot be visited.

Distance between the station and Burg Schadeck (the most distant of the 4 castles) is approx. 1,5 km.

R J
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neckar river castle cruise

thanks so much. I also was wondering...can you actually see all four of the castles as you are cruising on the river? in other words, would you get the "castle views" by simply taking the cruise up and back?

3. Re: Neckar river castle cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Heidelberg