We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baden-Württemberg-Land Ticket.

Which Heidelberg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Baden-Württemberg-Land Ticket.

Just to make sure that I have everything clear regarding the Baden-Württemberg-Land Ticket.

1) It can by used on ANY one day of the week from 9:00 till night.

2) It can be used only on "regional trains", and "regional" are all trains apart from ICE and IC.

3) It can be used by up to 5 persons.

In our case we are 5 persons in total, but it's my sister and I, her son and my 2 kids, all aged <15 years old.

So what ticket should we get, a 2 persons and kids come along for free, a 1 person ticket and the rest are considered a family, a 5 persons?

Cound I buy it in advance ( and print it from home) and then use it on a particular date?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baden-Württemberg-Land Ticket.

"It can by used on ANY one day of the week from 9:00 till night."

Not quite right. It's good at ANY HOUR on Sat or Sun - the 9:00-and-on restriction is only for weekdays.

"It can be used only on "regional trains", and "regional" are all trains apart from ICE and IC."

Regional, local... ANY trains except the certain private (non-DB) excursion/novelty trains and the long-distance, high-speed trains (IC, ICE, EC, D, EN, and others.) There are too many OK trains to list, but here are a few: RB, RE, S, IRE.

You can exclude ineligible trains from the mix at the DB itinerary page. Just specify "only local transport" under "means of transport" and the itineraries that appear will all be OK using the B-W Ticket (as long as all your travel lies within Baden-Württemberg, that is):

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

It's also good on trams and buses as well - not just trains.

You would need a ticket for 3 persons. Your kids are free - but her son is not since only one adult can take his/her kids for free.

You get no discount for buying in advance, only the restriction that you have to use it on the date for which you purchase it. So just buy it at the station.

By the way, if you are staying in one of the Black Forest towns, you might not have to pay anything for your train travel - that's free with the KONUS card:

www.dreisamtal.de/en/service/konus.php…

Edited: 15 July 2014, 12:44
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baden-Württemberg-Land Ticket.

Thanks Russ

we are staying in Heidelberg, so no KONUS for us.

So when you say a ticket for 3 persons, this means, myself, my sister and her son ( althought he is still a child <15years) because the ticket covers only one family, right?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,923 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baden-Württemberg-Land Ticket.

You'll actually need a Baden-Württemberg Ticket for 5 persons.

The family rule (children travel for free) applies only if all kids are (grand-)children of the first person on the ticket. And there can be only one further person on the ticket.

a. you + your kids + your sister: BWT for 2 persons

b. you + your kids + your sister's son: BWT for 2 persons

c. you + your kids + your sister + her son: BWT for 5 persons

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baden-Württemberg-Land Ticket.

"And there can be only one further person on the ticket."

Margory - I wasn't aware of this condition - apologies for the misinformation. Go with abalada's analysis.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baden-Württemberg-Land Ticket.

I am not sure if I understand (c) of Abalada's analysis.

As both my kids travel for free on my ticket, the additional persons would be my sister and her son ie 2 more persons, that is in total 3 persons paying and 2 kids free, therefore I would need a ticket for 3 persons.

Since "And there can be only one further person on the ticket" applies this means that on my ticket we could add my sister OR her son, but not both and we need a separate ticket. Which would mean:

1 ticket for 1 person covering myself and my kids and

1 ticket for 1 person for my sister and her son.

Please could you clarify a bit more?

( and I still didn't touch the VRN transport tickets- THERE is where I have queries!)

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baden-Württemberg-Land Ticket.

BWT for 5 is cheaper than 1 for 3 people and 1 for 2 people.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Baden-Württemberg-Land Ticket.

There are two different options to calculate the price of a Baden-Württemberg Ticket.

Option A: up to 5 people (adults) together. Person 1 pays the basic price, everyone else + 4 €.

Option B: up to 2 adults and children/grandchildren of adult 1 (but not of adult 2).

You are trtying to mingle A and B and that is not allowed.

One ticket for 5 is indeed the cheapest option.

8. Re: Baden-Württemberg-Land Ticket.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 05:17