We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel into Karlsruhe-Baden

Which Karlsruhe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berkshire
4 posts
Save Topic
travel into Karlsruhe-Baden

I am due to fly into Karlsruhe-Baden in mid July via Ryanair. Is there a difference between Karlsruhe and Karlsruhe-Baden? I need to meet up with a friend in Tubighen (outside Stuttgart) and my friend does not know where Karlsruhe-Baden is. Any public transport available for the connection - bus, taxi or train? What is the estimated cost respectively? Any other advise or info that I need to know before any 'disaster' strikes!? Leah

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel into Karlsruhe-Baden

Karlsruhe is the city. Kalrsruhe - Baden-Baden is the name created by Ryanair for the airport close to Baden-Baden. There are regular (every 30 min) buses from the airport to Baden-Baden station, from where you can take a train to Karlsruhe. I can imagine that Ryanair works together with some local bus company to lay on buses to Karlsruhe directly but I don't know of any. The train from Baden-Baden to Karlsruhe takes between 15 and 30 min, then you would have to change to Stuttgart and finally to Tübingen. Which is by the way anything but not "outside Stuttgart" but a good hour by train away from Stuttgart.

Look at www.bahn.de for schedules and prices from Baden-Baden to Tübingen. If you are travelling after 9 am you can use the Baden-Württemberg-Ticket for about 25 Euro which is good for up to 5 persons, in all local trains (RB, RE, S, IRE, but not IC/ICE ones) one whole day in all of Baden-Württemberg. Which includes all your travel actually.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,158 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel into Karlsruhe-Baden

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e

To: Tuebingen

Baden-Württemberg Ticket

http://tinyurl.com/rw7l5

If you plan to use this special ticket, select at the DB timetable as means of transport "only local transport".

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel into Karlsruhe-Baden

The airport is in Soellingen, near Baden-Baden.

Take the hourly (on weekdays) bus Nr.234 to Rastatt Bahnhof (Rastatt station). There you can change to the S-Bahn from Baden-Baden to Karlsruhe.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
44 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel into Karlsruhe-Baden

I am going to Tubingen in November and would like to know how you got on with your transfer from Karlsruhe-Baden to Tubingen. Is it a straightforward train journey or is it a bit tricky? My alternative is to fly to Frankfurt and take the train from there. I would be very grateful for any advice on getting to Tubingen from Ireland

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel into Karlsruhe-Baden

Best airport for Tübingen is Stuttgart airport. There is a direct bus from there to Tübingen (bus line 828).

naldo.de/fileadmin/…Regionalnetz_2006.pdf

budget flights to Stuttgart

www.whichbudget.com/en/cheapflights.php…

If you want to fly with Ryanair fly either to Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden (FKB) or to Friedrichshafen (FDH). From both airports you can travel on the Baden-Württemberg Ticket (see previous answers) to Tübingen.

(Frankfurt -) Hahn is not a good idea if your destination is Tübingen.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Tuebingen

and select as means of transport "only local transport" if you like to use the Baden-Württemberg Ticket.

For Stuttgart airport to Tübingen buy a normal p2p ticket for the bus.

ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel into Karlsruhe-Baden

My son is flying in from dublin to Karlsruhe-baden on the 21/6/07

he is going to the southside festival in stuttgart on the 22/6/07 Can someone please advise me if I can book a coach or a train or both to get him to stuttgart.

many thanks in advance

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel into Karlsruhe-Baden

>Can someone please advise me if I can book a coach or a train or both to get him to stuttgart.

No coaches here.

There is a city bus to Baden-Baden station. Your son can get the tickets from the bus driver.

At the station, he just has to go to the counter and say "one ticket to Stuttgart please". English will probably do, I have seen the ticket agents handle english-language tourists' requests several times.

There will be most probably one change in Karlsruhe.

Have a look at www.bahn.de for schedules and prices from Baden-Baden to Stuttgart.

For one person, buying a BaWü-Ticket probably won't save a lot of money.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,158 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travel into Karlsruhe-Baden

Southside festival is in Neuhausen ob Eck, near Tuttlingen.

That's approx. 140 km south of Stuttgart.

www.southside.de/index.php?lng=_englisch

From Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden airport (aka Baden Airpark) Stuttgart is not on the route to Tuttlingen at all.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Tuttlingen

From Tuttlingen station there are shuttle buses to the festival.

Best deal will be a Baden-Württemberg Ticket single (EUR 18,00). A day ticket covering all local trains and most other local public transport in the state Baden-Württemberg. This ticket will cover the complete trip from the airport to the festival grounds.

Even better if he can find some others doing the same. The mini group version (2-5 persons) is EUR 27,00.

You can enforce trips by local trains only by giving at the DB timetable as means of transport "only local transport". But as far I've seen, there are anway mostly connections with local trains only (S-Bahn, RB, RE, IRE, HZL).

9. Re: travel into Karlsruhe-Baden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 10:23