We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRN ticket

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
VRN ticket

I have read a past post...dated in 2009 I think, stating that if you buy a VRN ticket on Saturday it is good until early Monday morning. Is this still true?

We plan to go to Straussbourg (getting off at Kehl) as I've researched on Saturday and then to Stuttgart on Sunday. I had planned to buy 2 group tickets - one for each day - and then i saw this post....if this is true I could save the money - how nice!!

When I buy the ticket do i use the DB machines- typing in my destination..... but check in local transport only or do I use the lower right hand box(on that machine) that is for local transport and if so how many zones would it be? Will the ticket say that it is good until Monday morning? I have been on several trains this week where the DB police have checked for tickets and people have been in trouble...I don't want that!!!

Thanks so much for your help. It has been a blessing to have someone out there who is so willing to help!!!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: VRN ticket

> I have read a past post...dated in 2009 I think, stating that if you buy a VRN ticket on Saturday it is good until early Monday morning. Is this still true?

Yes. For the tickets Ticket 24 and Ticket 24 PLUS.

vrn.de/imperia/md/content/fahrausweise/visit…

> We plan to go to Straussbourg (getting off at Kehl)

Kehl is however not in the VRN but in the TGO Verkehrsverbund.

Map Verkehrsverbünde Baden-Württemberg

bahn.de/regional/…verkehrsverbuende.shtml

> When I buy the ticket do i use the DB machines- typing in my destination..... but check in local transport only or do I use the lower right hand box(on that machine) that is for local transport and if so how many zones would it be?

Obsolete as Kehl is not in the VRN. But generally both ways will lead to the same result. The Ticket 24 has only 3 price steps. 0-3 zone (e.g. Heidelberg), 4-5 zones (e.g. Heidelberg to Mannheim), 6 or more zones (the whole VRN area). Thus if you now what you need its faster to buy the ticket through the VRN part on these machines.

> Will the ticket say that it is good until Monday morning?

No.

The ticket shows only the type of the ticket you bought (e.g. Ticket 24 PLUS 4-5 zones) and the date/time of purchase (start of validity) and where you bought it (start point).

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,538 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: VRN ticket

To Strasbourg you have following options:

a) VRN ticket to Lauterbourg and a (French) regional train from there to Strasbourg

b) Baden-Württemberg Ticket to Kehl (EUR 29,00 for 2-5 persons)

Baden-Württemberg Ticket is valid

Mo-Fr: from 9am till 3am next day

Sa,Su: from midnight till 3am next day

b1) Buy in Heidelberg a ticket from Kehl to Strasbourg. EUR 3,80 per person with regional trains (Baden-Württemberg Ticket covers only regional trains). This way you can stay just seated in Kehl.

b2) Change in Kehl to the Strasbourg city bus #21. And than at Aristide Briand to tram line D.

Strasbourg network map

www.cts-strasbourg.fr/LinkClick.aspx…

A good deal is e.g. the 24H TRIO ticket. EUR 5,50. A 24 hours ticket for 2-3 persons.

cts-strasbourg.fr/Tarifs/…Default.aspx

Medan, Indonesia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: VRN ticket

Is the 24H TRIO ticket cover the city bus and the tram?

Where can we buy the ticket? Buy it at Kehl or at the bus?

And then at Aristide Briand to tram line D. Do you mean that we get off the bus at Aristide Briand bus stop and then take the tram line D to the town? And for the return trip do we take the same tram line to Aristide Briand again and then take the city bus to Kehl?

Medan, Indonesia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: VRN ticket

Is the VRN ticket cover Baden Baden to Heideldelberg, Baden Baden to Stuttgart? How much is the day ticket for group? Thank you for any input?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,657 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VRN ticket

Stuttgart is nowhere near the VRN transportation network. You will need a Baden-Wuerttemberg day train ticket for 21€ single and 29€ for a group of from 2-5 people.

The VRN ticket certainly doesn't cover Baden-Baden to Stuttgart. You must use the Baden-Wuerttemberg group train ticket in the paragraph above.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,538 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: VRN ticket

> Is the 24H TRIO ticket cover the city bus and the tram?

Yes.

> Where can we buy the ticket? Buy it at Kehl or at the bus?

Bus #21 driver. I think also at the Kehl tourist office.

> And then at Aristide Briand to tram line D. Do you mean that we get off the bus at Aristide Briand bus stop and then take the tram line D to the town? And for the return trip do we take the same tram line to Aristide Briand again and then take the city bus to Kehl?

You can also change at "Jean Jaurès" - that's one stop after Aristide Briand and the end stop of the bus #21. There you can change to tram lines C and D. There is also option to change to other bus lines. Just see the network map (my answer #2 second last link).

> Is the VRN ticket cover Baden Baden to Heideldelberg, Baden Baden to Stuttgart? How much is the day ticket for group?

No. VRN network does neither include Baden-Baden nor Stuttgart. For these trips you need like to Kehl a Baden-Württemberg Ticket. EUR 29 for 2-5 persons.

Baden-Württemberg Ticket network map (only railroads showns)

bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/pv/planen_buchen/l…

Covered are all stations shown apart from the ones in gray (e.g. Strasbourg).

map of Baden-Württemberg with local public transport associations like the VRN (Heidelberg, Mannheim), KVV (Karlsruhe, Baden-Baden), VVS (Stuttgart).

http://3-löwen-takt.de/d/3385/

Edited: 19 September 2011, 13:23
Medan, Indonesia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: VRN ticket

Thank you so much for your informative reply.

8. Re: VRN ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Mannheim