We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leffe and Shipping Beer

Florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Leffe and Shipping Beer

We will be in Stuttgart next week and had two questions.

Will we be able to finde Leffe Brune in Stuttgart. We had it during a trip to Belgium and loved it. Can't find it in the US and are hoping to have some again.

If we do find Leffe, or someother beer we love, does anyone know the policies on shipping it (or carrying it on the plane) back to the US?

Thanks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leffe and Shipping Beer

I can't help you with the Leffe Brune question (you can buy beer in the supermarkets and many have a fair selection or at a drinks only store), but of course now if you take beer on a plane it will have to go in the hold as baggage and not as a carryon. I believe that the US has a limit of 1-2 liters of alcoholic beverage per adult before having to pay duties. Whether duties will be collected is another matter as the excess beer could (and probably would) be ignored in many airports in the US.

Note that how things are handled really depends on the US airport you use and the local liquor laws also. Therefore, check up with customs for the airport that is the entry point for your arrival in the US. I know that for Chicago after reading their website the 3 liter presentation beer magnum of my favorite beer which I was going to take for my son's wedding was subject to possible seizure, so I opted not to take it although I believe nothing would have happenend. If you try bringing back too much alcoholic beverages you may also then need an import license if they want to apply those regulations to you.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leffe and Shipping Beer

Beer is not subject to the same rules as wine and spirits (water content and alcohol content) I've carried back cases of German beer in the hold with no issues, both before and after 9/11. Obviously, double-checking might save a nasty surprise, but I don't think you'll have a problem.

You cannot, however, take anything more than 3 oz on your person in the cabin (I nearly cried when my husband put a jereboam of wine in his carryon, only to donate it to the customs officials in Paris -- it was a headslap moment, because we knew better, and it just didn't all register.)

You can buy Leffe in the US, although it's tricky -- you might have to go to a source in Atlanta, but we've bought it here in the past.

Don't forget, by the way, to sample local beers in Germany -- they're justifiably proud of the calibre and purity of their beers -- you might find something you like even better.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leffe and Shipping Beer

PCBeach, you picqued my curiousity, and I googled Leffe (I've bought the blonde here, but realised I don't recall seeing the brun.)

Here's a list of similar strong dark Belgian ales (woo, almost got sidetracked by strong dark Belgian!) that I found on BeerAdvocate:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/56

Clearwater, FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leffe and Shipping Beer

PC,

You needn't journey as far as ATL (!!!???) to get Leffe (though not 100% sure on the Brown...Blond is most common.) In 'West Central FL', we are able to find Leffe at specialty beer shops or large liquor stores. In Pinellas County, for example - Leffe can be found at World of Beers or Luekens, and maybe even Total Wine or Got Wines in Dunedin...

We were just in Belgium earlier this week and carried beer back in our checked luggage only.

And if you can't find the Brown, there are a ton of other makers of Belgian Brown that are just as good. Try them all.

I hope this helps. Cheers!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leffe and Shipping Beer

Cracker, I'm in the same metro area as you, and couldn't remember finding Brune here.

Atlanta is a big enough city that yes, you can obtain a number of things there that you can't buy here, and if PCBeach means what "PCBeach" usually means -- Panama City Beach just isn't going to have a beer distributor who carries European beers. (and if, indeed, PCBeach is in PC Beach, then Atlanta's much closer than Miami)

I didn't mean you have to GO to Atlanta...just that there might well be a company who could either guide you to a closer retailer, or would be able to ship.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leffe and Shipping Beer

I have checked wine several times but I wonder if the beer doesn't get a little too shaken up in the travel process to make it worth it?? I bet if you check with your wine/beer distributer locally they may get the beer for you if you gurantee a couple of cases to make it worth the trouble. There is a Paulner beer that my husband likes and our market said just request a couple of cases and he will get it.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leffe and Shipping Beer

It doesn't get any more shaken up in the hold of a passenger plane than it would be in a cargo plane or on the deck of a ship....

8. Re: Leffe and Shipping Beer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 13:21