We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing calif wine into Germany

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
bringing calif wine into Germany

I'd like to bring some nice California wines into Germany for a friend livng there. Will there be any restrictions on doing this? I am flying in from California. I'm guessing I'll have to put the bottles into my checked luggage instead of my carry on?

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,856 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing calif wine into Germany

Yes, put it in your checked luggage.

No, there won't be any restrictions.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing calif wine into Germany

As with all countries, there are limits to the amount of alcoholic beverages that can be imported. I don't know what they are for Germany, perhaps Google for an answer. There is also a limit to the cost of goods that you will be leaving in the country (your wine gift), again I don't know how much but a few bottles of wine shouldn't exceed this. But in fact, you probably can just walk through the nothing to declare green line and nothing will happen.

You will definitely have to place the wine in your checked luggage. Also, consider what your suitcase will look like after the TSA opens your suitcase for inspection and doesn't properly rewrap the bottles and they break during transit. Stuttgart is a wine city, in fact Germany's largest, there is no need to import US wine unless it is very special. I think if your friend is American, there are a lot of other American products which would be appreciated more. Just ask her/him.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing calif wine into Germany

Thank you for your responses. It will be 2 bottles and they will be in a wine shipping carton that can be inspected if needed. If I end up with wine soaked belongings I'll buy new stuff! I'm just packing old things anyways. ; )

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing calif wine into Germany

This is what I do...and I usually bring about 6 bottles. Put the wine carrier on by itself if you only have one other bag to check. I write fragile/wine on the outside of the box and have never had a problem. I have never paid duty on the wine.

5. Re: bringing calif wine into Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 02:15