We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we do Tripsdrill & Porsche Museum in one day?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Can we do Tripsdrill & Porsche Museum in one day?

We're driving from Heidelberg and plan to spend one night in Stuttgart because my husband wants to visit the Porsche Museum. Is it reasonable to try to drive to Tripsdrill first & spend some time there with our two girls (ages 6 & 8), and then visit the Porsche Museum in the afternoon? Or is that too much driving in one day to allow for both of those things? Alternatively, I thought we could maybe do Tripsdrill, and if we ran out of time, wake up in Stuttgart & visit the museum the first thing the next morning. Also, does the order of those visits make sense driving from Heidelberg (Tripsdrill THEN Stuttgart), or should it be the other way around? We're driving the following day to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we do Tripsdrill & Porsche Museum in one day?

I believe the Porsche Museum is open from 9AM to 6PM. Tripsdrill ( www.tripsdrill.de ). has the same hours It took us less than an hour to visit the Porsche Museum at 9AM, nothing like the Mercedes Benz Museum where I easily could spend several days. I guess someone into Porsches could spend longer.

Tripsdrill is on the way to Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) from Heidelberg. If you visit the Porsche Museum first, then you will have the rest of the day for the amusement park. I think that I would do them in that order anyways to maximize your time at the amusement park unless you chose to visit the Porsche Museum the next morning. (It is very convenient to the S-6 stop Neuwirtshaus (Porscheplatz) just a minute's walk away.) If so, two lovely small towns out that way along the Neckar River are Lauffen ( www.lauffen.de ) which has a small completely walled old town, and Besigheim ( www.besigheim.de ), both only in German.

Edited: 25 July 2010, 17:40
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we do Tripsdrill & Porsche Museum in one day?

Why is the Mercedes Museum so much better? My husband wanted to see the Porsche one because he is a Porsche owner, but he's a pretty big car fanatic in general, so now I wonder if we should do the Mercedes Museum as well.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we do Tripsdrill & Porsche Museum in one day?

The Porsche Museum appeals mainly to fans of this brand and some racing enthusiasts. Most of the 80 cars on display are not very old different types of Porsche models with little difference in them and hard to spot differences with slight styling changes. There were only a handful of cars that I enjoyed on our recent visit. The building itself has excellent architecture. By the way, the gift shop opens at 10AM, and its also possible again to take a factory tour, but perhaps not with young children.

The Mercedes Benz Museum has the over 120 year history of the automobile and this firm documented by over 160 vehicles. This represents Mercedes through the years (many of these exquisite cars can be admired as works of art), automotive improvements, racing and record setting cars, trucks and other vehicles such as buses and fire trucks some of which you can enter and kids love, cars driven or used by famous people such as the Popemobile, and cars of the future.

The building is also architecturally interesting. As you spiral down through the many floors there is an interesting excellent time line on the wall of world events since the invention of the automobile which you can relate to, and it's interesting to see what events are included. There are interesting movies such as the one on the use of forced labor during WW II. There are a few driving simulators, and in the basement near their large gift shop, restaurant and sales room for their autos, you can sit in a Formula 1 car that is cut away on one side for easy entry to this coffin on wheels and have your picture taken. I believe that it is one of the world's top museums, but in this case dealing only with cars of this firm. It is loved by all visitors irregardless of gender or age, or whether they particularly like cars or not.

Oh, on your way to Rothenburg from Stuttgart, make sure to see the unique medieval walled fortified Grosscomburg Monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ) by Schwaebisch Hall, a monastery with a large church built within the walls of a castle.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,493 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we do Tripsdrill & Porsche Museum in one day?

If you are coming from Heidelberg then I would stop at Trips Drill on the way to Stuttgart, otherewise you drive past it go 40kms to the museum then drive back to Trips Drill returning to Stuttgart for the night!

If you do Trips Drill in the morning then get to the Porsche Museum for 4pm that is plenty in there. The Mercedes Museum is much more interesting but it might be a bit too much for the kids.

5. Re: Can we do Tripsdrill & Porsche Museum in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2011, 07:17