We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

frankfurt to stuttgart

england
13 posts
Save Topic
frankfurt to stuttgart

we are flying from London to Stuttgart on 20th June to see ZZ top - what is the cheapest way to get to Stuttgart ? the trains seem so very expensive?

any information would be greatly appreciates as my husband is gonna go mad when I tell him how much the train is, I saved on the flight now I think I should have booked to go direct to Stuttgart!! oh dear my surprise for him is going wrong! help - Lynne

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,751 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: frankfurt to stuttgart

Yes, the best would have been to fly to the Stuttgart Airport, and then for a few euros and a half hour S-bahn ride you'd be in the center of Stuttgart. Go to www.bahn.com and see if there are any cheap highly discounted train tickets available, which I doubt. If not, pay the normal price. If you want a much slower but cheaper trip, check "use only local transportation". Otherwise, there is the option of using a multi-state Quer-durchs-Land-Ticket which also involves travel on the same local transportation (regional trains), but see if the price is better than your other local transportation option.

Then there are several other airports within or by the German state of Baden-Wuerttemberg whoch you could have used a very cheap Baden-Wuerttemberg day train ticket which also would have covered your transportation in Stuttgart: Friedsrichhafen; Baden-Baden/Karlsruhe; Memmingen; and Basel/Muhlhofen.

Of course, if you're not landing at the actual Frankfurt Airport (FRA) and using Ryanair to distant Hahn, you'll have a very long more expensive trip.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,895 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: frankfurt to stuttgart

> we are flying from London to Stuttgart on 20th June

You mean London to Frankfurt - or? With which airline?

Best deal will be a Rail&Fly ticket if offered by your airline.

bahn.de/i/…rail_and_fly.shtml

england
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: frankfurt to stuttgart

thank you - I think we have decided to hire a car now, seems the best way as the trains are crazy expensive

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: frankfurt to stuttgart

car rental won't come cheaper.

Savings ticket for two is € 81, not that expensive ... after all it's a 200 km distance

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,895 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: frankfurt to stuttgart

Standard fare ticket is EUR 126 for 2. But there are on this date specials available from EUR 29 (e.g. the 09:20 train). Albeit most connections are EUR 81 or more (all prices for 2 persons).

The question is if a rental car is with fuel and parking fees in the end really less. And it always comes with more risks. Just discovered on my (private) car today a new bump. Guess a door of another car or a shopping cart. I can live with this, but if it would have been a rental car this would have cost me EUR 800 or so.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: frankfurt to stuttgart

Make sure to use a credit card with rental car insurance coverage. I used an AMEX with the premium coverage (extra $20.) Search on this forum for the rental horror stories especially out of FRA and visit gemut.com for their rental car advice. It is costing us around $320 for two weeks rental in a mid-size (FDMR). Train tickets to travel everywhere we wanted to go would have been close to $800.

7. Re: frankfurt to stuttgart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 05:15