We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuttgart in an electric wheelchair?

Scotland
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stuttgart in an electric wheelchair?

I'm considering Stuttgart for my summer holiday. I am physically disabled and use an electric wheelchair.

Can you advise whether Stuttgart is wheelchair accessible in general? Is public transport accessible?

Thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuttgart in an electric wheelchair?

I believe that Stuttgart has implemented measures for handicapped people such as curbless entry and exit from sidewalks to streets, For public transportation, the stations should be accessible by wheelchair, but that may be only one end of a platform instead of both by ramp, and there are elevators if needed. The buses tilt down to allow entry for wheelchairs and prams, and all public transportation has seating areas for wheelchairs. Although you may be able to enter a bus if handicapped from the middle or rear, I don't know if you can readily access the driver to purchase a ticket so already having a ticket or pass may be best.

For things to see and do in and around Stuttgart, have a look at what I wrote in #1 of tripadvisor.com/…49932873 .

Scotland
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuttgart in an electric wheelchair?

Thanks for the information. A few more questions.

Given that I usually like to stay in the centre of a city and travel to most places by wheelchair, what area of the city should I concentrate looking for a hotel in?

Also, if I come to Stuttgart, I would like to visit the Mercedes Benz and Porsche museums. Is this possible by wheelchair accessible bus? If not what are my alternatives?

Thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stuttgart in an electric wheelchair?

You want to stay in the center of town, the Mitte, although it is easily accessible from other parts of town by S-bahns, U-bahns, and buses. Be aware of hotel names as ones that seem to emphasis being in the center of Stuttgart with their name usually aren't. Among other ways, hotels are bookable through the tourist information office, www.stuttgart-tourist.de . I would avoid any hotel on Heilbronnerstrasse as this is remote between U-bahn stations, there's little there, and a fair distance to the central town area. Motel One, the one near the train station, might be a good choice but not the one on the NW side of town. Hotel am Schlossgarten, whatever they have now added to its name, might also be a good choice, but there are many more.

For the Porsche Museum, it is right at a stop of the S-6, Neuwirtshaus (Porscheplatz). I imagine you can also travel nearby also by bus, but it certainly won't be as convenient. For the Mercedes Benz Museum, there is at least one bus that leaves from the Bad Cannstatt train station on the north side. It is one stop away from Stuttgart's main train station by S-bahn (S-1, S-2, S-3) and also accessible by several U-bahn lines including the U-1 and U-2. Public transportation information can be found at www.vvs.de which can be changed to English.

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stuttgart in an electric wheelchair?

Hi Wheels496,

may be this link is helpful, it is from Tow Stuttgart for People with wheelchair, above is a Botton for english:

http://www.stuttgart.de/behinderung

Have fun, Stuttgart is nice, and also the famous spas have Special offers an oportunitys for handicapt People!

micha

5. Re: Stuttgart in an electric wheelchair?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 05:17