We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheesecake

Which Ulm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
A S
Regina, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cheesecake

My son is studying in Ulm. I'd like to surprise him with a delivery of his favourite dessert, cheesecake, on his birthday. Is cheesecake popular in Ulm? Is there a good restaurant that would deliver a cheesecake? Would I be able to order one in English? (This may all be a tall order!)

9 replies to this topic
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheesecake

Here is a link to bakeries in Ulm, I fear though that it will be a very tall order to find one that allows you to order in English and pay by credit card and delivers. Maybe send him the money with instructions to go buy one! de.ask.com/web…

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheesecake

German cheesecake is different from American cheesecake. You better make sure he likes the German version

rezeptewiki.org/wiki/…A4sekuchen

Translate with google translator

A S
Regina, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cheesecake

Thanks for the info. Can you describe how it's different, by any chance?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,326 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheesecake

The best Conditorei nearby is Cafe Kolesch ( http://www.cafe-kolesch.de/ only in German) on Gymnasiumstrasse in Biberach an der Riss. You won't find a better place until you get to Munich, Stuttgart or Zurich. They probably have cheesecake, but I'm not certain. Their many desserts are excellent, my preference being the excellent Wielandstorte, my favorite European dessert. It was even served a few years ago at the royal wedding in London. I'm sure that if he purchased a whole one, he would be happy for days. I always was!!!!! We would sometimes have them mail us one if we weren't visiting the area. Oh, the house behind it is a legitimate contender for the oldest house in Germany as records weren't always kept that well in the past and another elsewhere was mentioned a few years earlier.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 22:56
A S
Regina, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: cheesecake

Thanks for your quick and helpful response.

UK
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheesecake

There is Käsekuchen and there is Käsesahnetorte.

Käsekuchen is a baked cheesecake (i.e., you put the whole thing in the oven, topping and all)

Käsesahnetorte is similar to the Anglo-Saxon idea of cheesecake, but is usually made with Quark rather than cream cheese or mascarpone.

A S
Regina, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: cheesecake

Thank you, everyone, for all your help!

L C
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheesecake

Personally, German cheesecake can't compare to the American version. In Germany, you can get the American version of cheesecake at no surprise... Starbucks and McCafe.

A S
Regina, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: cheesecake

That's a good idea!

Reply to: cheesecake
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ulm
Recent Conversations