We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing the Ulm tower

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
870 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Climbing the Ulm tower

I am a reasonably fit 65 year-old. Example: Several times a week I ride a heavy bikesare about 7 miles in 45 minutes along a mostly flat route to get home in the evening.

I want to climb the tower in the afternoon of Tuesday, 26 September. I will need to take several stops for brief rests.

I believe it is a spiral stairs. Will it likely have a lot of people also doing this? Is it narrow so that people can get past me or me past others?

Advice, please.

Also any suggestions for a parking garage? We will be driving up the A7 from Neuschwanstein.

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing the Ulm tower

It is amazing, well worth the effort! The first 560 or so steps to the roof are up the sort of spiral staircase you may have seen on other tower climbs, not roomy but enough room for people to pass or for you to rest if need be. Good views from this level. From there, the final 200 or so steps are up a much narrower spiral staircase up to the top. People can pass, but not without getting pretty close and personal, haha. :) :) It is pretty tight up on that viewing platform as well, but the views are magic.

We were there on a December day just before Xmas, but the tower was not very busy at all and some people chose not to do the final part of the climb. I found it quite scary, but I am so glad I did it, just beautiful.

However according to this website, which I ran through google translate, the very top section may not be open in September?

www.ulmer-muenster.de/?neues-kampagnentool-3

We have parked at the Maratim Hotel and walked in and also used the "Parkhaus am Rathaus" which is very close and convenient for the tower. Check it out on google maps.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,327 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing the Ulm tower

> and some people chose not to do the final part of the climb. I found it quite scary, but I am so glad I did it

That's also my experience. Not a question of physical fitness but rather a psychological problem (basophobia). Looks exposed and light

tourismus.ulm.de/web/…11_muenster.jpg

but is of course still a massive structure

static.panoramio.com/photos/large/3495440.jpg

> the very top section may not be open in September?

Due maintenance works the tower is on the 4./5. September 2017 only accessible up to the first platform (70 m).

This happens also with bad weather (strong winds, snow, ice rain). But such conditions are unlikely in September.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing the Ulm tower

Just for the record: Ulm is NOT in Bavaria. It's on the Baden-Wuerttemberg side of the Danube. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Ulm
Ulm
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
909 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
870 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Climbing the Ulm tower

Thanks, abalada, for the great pictures. Now I understand the scary part. Glad to see that there are metal bars to prevent anyone from falling out--or committing suicide!

I believe it is the last part that is shown in your pictures. It is a shame we won't be able to do that part. But, that just gives us an excuse to come back a later time when it is open. :)

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,327 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Climbing the Ulm tower

> t is a shame we won't be able to do that part.

???

> I want to climb the tower in the afternoon of Tuesday, 26 September.

> Due maintenance works the tower is on the 4./5. September 2017 only accessible up to the first platform (70 m).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
870 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Climbing the Ulm tower

I meant that I understand that we will not be able to climb to the very top. Is that correct?

Reply to: Climbing the Ulm tower
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted