We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich to Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Michigan
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Munich to Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

I am thinking of leaving Munich in the early morning to leave for Fussen (2 hour drive) and tour both Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau castles, then from there go to see the Zugspitze, and spend the night in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Both of the castle tours seem to be fairly short and if we arrive when they open we should be able to comfortably complete both, grab lunch and be on the road by about noon or 1 by my estimate.

I have a couple of questions about this plan.

As far as I can tell it looks like it is about an hour drive from Fussen to Zugspitze. I think that I should go to Garmisch-Partenkirchen first and secure my room first then proceed to the mountain. Fussen to Garmisch is also about 1 hour drive.

Is it too much for one day?

Any suggestions?

Boston
Level Contributor
220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich to Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

It is largely dependent on the weather! If it is a nice day it can be done without a problem. Munich to Garmisch is about 55 minutes on the

A95. Füssen is about an hour and half to the east and very doable.

Securing a room should be done over the net or phone in my experience. Most check in times are after 1 P.M. so be warned.

Garmisch and Füssen are flooded with day trippers on the weekend

so the earlier you go, the better. Roundtrip to the top of the Zugspitze

is 48 Euros RT. Make sure it is worth the trip. Heading back to Munich on a Sunday night in good weather can be a chore as well.

Have fun

Michigan
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich to Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Now I am thinking of just driving from Munich to Garmisch, tour the Zugspitze spending the night, heading out the next morning to Fussen and touring the castles.

Morganton, Georgia
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich to Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Breaking the two trips up into two days is a much better idea if you ask me. That's what we've done several times when we've had friends and family visiting.

When we've had beautiful, clear days for the Zugspitze, we spend quite some time up there and get back to our hotel late in the afternoon.

The same thing goes for Fuessen and the castles. No need to rush through it all if you have the time to do it over two days instead of cramming everything into one day.

Have a wonderful time!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich to Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

I think that breaking it up is definitely the way to go.

Day 1 Garmish - Zugspitze - Hanggliding / paragliding - town touring

Day 2 Fussen - Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau

Connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich to Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Can anyone tell me how long it takes by train to get from GP to Fussen? Also, I want to go paragliding in Fussen, but none of the sites are in English. Do I need to reserve in advance or can I show up and go paragliding or hangliding right away? THanks!

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich to Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

AFAIK, there is NO train from GP to Fuessen. There's a bus however which takes 2 hours.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich to Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

You can get from Garmisch to Fuessen via train (Garmisch to Reutte, Austria) and then bus (Reutte to Fuessen). You will pass through some simply spectacular scenery. It takes about 2 1/2 hours, but it's an easy trip.

I'd advise reserving tickets for Neuschwanstein on-line. There's a separate line to pick up reserved tickets, so you avoid the long wait.

Also if you go arrive in Hohenschwangau on the bus from Fuessen, you avoid the long line of cars waiting to get into the parking lot by Neuschwanstein.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich to Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Thanks for the tips. We will actually be coming from Salzburg, so maybe we should go straight to Fussen from Salzburg, then on to our hotel in GP at the end of the day, avoiding the back and forth trip.

THe only issue is that we'll have luggage with us. Is there any place (lockers?) to store semi-large suitcases in Fussen?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich to Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

If you are coming from Salzburg to Fuessen by train you have to go via Munich, it looks like.

Yes, there are good-sized lockers at the Fuessen train station.

10. Re: Munich to Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2010, 06:18