We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich and then what?

Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
262 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Munich and then what?

My boyfriend and I plan a trip to Bavaria, during spring and I would like to know which places, except Munich, worth to visit.

We are looking for two or three other cities, or villages.

Thank you very much

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich and then what?

Ulm, Augsburg, Salzberg (Austria), and Garmisch-Partenkirchen are not far by train. All are worth visiting and can even be done as day trips from Munich. Use Google to research these towns, there is plenty of information about them on the Internet.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich and then what?

Do you have any special interests? Example: hiking, shopping

Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
262 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich and then what?

No nancycinty I don't have any special interests, I only would like to visit typical Bavarian places.

Thanx a lot

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,192 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich and then what?

Hi Silver Greece,

I don't mean to be flippant -- but a "typical" Bavarian village may be a little out of the way. There was been so much tourism for so long in Bavaria, that what was once "typical" is now pretty touristy.

But you can try for these --

Mittenwald, about 2h from Münich, a very sweet and picturesque village with a strong history of violin-making. Good hiking nearby as well as the violin-making museum.

Oberammbergau, about 2h from München, with a change in Murnau. Also a very sweet and picturesque town, with a strong heritage as a wood-carving town. Of course also the site of the Passion Play, put on every 10 years.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, about 90 minutes from München. Larger town/small city with traffic and folks rushing around at lunch hour, etc. But it has two nice pedestrain zones, one about 10 minutes from the train station and one (lesser known) about 25 minutes from the station. Great selection of restaurants and shops, etc.

You could combine GaP with either Mittenwald or Oberammergau.

Have fun!

s

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich and then what?

You could try Regensburg as well. That's a medieval town- well the Altstadt is, which is part of the UNESCO World Heritage. Definitely worth a visit if you fancy historic places.

Then there's the Starnberg Lake area and the Chiemsee with Ludwig's palace if you are into Lakes- further west you could visit the Bodensee with some picturesque towns ( Lindau, Meersburg or even Konstanz).

As for villages...we liked Bechtersgaten and Dinkelsbuehl (southeastern and northen Bavaria respectively).

All depends on how long you plan to stay in Bavaria and of course your interests.

Enjoy!

6. Re: Munich and then what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2010, 06:22