We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bayern Ticket?

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bayern Ticket?

Hi all,

I'm leaving on a trip next week for Germany/Austria/Prague. I'm researching all my transportation and reading about the Bayern Ticket. I'm a little confused about it and where exactly I can use it and when it might be best for us to use it. We will be with 4-9 adults, depending on the time of our trip. When do you think it is best to use (or even applicable) in the following situations:

Day 1) Train from Munich to Fussen - one way - 4 adults

Day 2) Day trip to Zugspitze from Fussen (and back) using bus and train (bus to Ruette & train to mountain base) - 9 adults (would buy two passes); And did I read you can use the pass to go up Zugspitze itself?

Day 3) Train back to Munich from Fussen - one way - 9 adults (2 passes needed again)

Day 4) Train to Salzburg - one way - 4 adults

Day 5) Roundtrip visit to Berchtesgaden from Salzburg - 4 adults

I am aware you can only use it after 9am on weekdays and that you can't use it on IC, ICE or EC trains. And I'm pretty sure it won't help us with our trip from Salzburg to Prague? (probably not)

Thanks for your help! I don't know why I'm so confused by this one... =\

Jen

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,176 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bayern Ticket?

Map showing the area/stations covered by a Bayern Ticket. All stations on solid lines are covered. Dashed lines are not covered.

bahnland-bayern.de/content-startseite/linien…

Day 1) Bayern Ticket

Day 2) 2 Bayern Tickets - but not covered are

- the buses from Füssen to Reutte

- the Zugspitzbahn past Grainau (thus not up to the Zugspitze)

What you can do

- use taxis from Füssen to Vils, that's a stop closer than Reutte on the Ausserfernbahn. The Ausserfernbahn (Pfronten - Reutte - Garmisch-Partenkirchen) is covered by a Bayern Ticket albeit it goes partly through Austria.

- you could exit the Ausserfernbahn at "Ehrwald Zugspitzbahn". Travel up using the Tyrolean Zugspitzbahn and travel down on the Bavarian Zugspitzbahn to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

http://www.zugspitze.at/

http://www.zugspitze.de/

- you could travel back by bus to Füssen. Thus doing a real roundtrip

> I'm leaving on a trip next week for

Till mid September (end of school holidays) there are track works around Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Thus you will have to use the bus substitutions (shown in the DB timetable as "Bus SEV").

Day 3) 2 Bayern Tickets

Day 4) 1 Bayern Ticket

Day 5) Possible. But note that the Bayern Ticket covers not the buses in Salzburg. Exception is the RVO bus #830 from Salzburg Hbf to Berchtesgaden. Or use the trains. The RVO buses serving Berchtesgaden area (as long it's inside Bavaria) are covered. Exception is the special bus line up to the Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest).

> and that you can't use it on IC, ICE or EC trains

also not on the railjet trains from Munich to Salzburg (they have replaced the EC trains on this route)

> And I'm pretty sure it won't help us with our trip from Salzburg to Prague?

Not on the (more) direct route which goes only through Austria and the Czech Republic.

But if you travel via Bavaria you can use the Bayern-Böhmen Ticket (Bavaria-Bohemia Ticket). EUR 33 for 2-5 persons. Like a Bayern Ticket but covers now also the German-Czech border region. With this ticket you can travel Salzburg - Bavaria - Pilsen/Plzen. Thus you would just need a ticket from Pilsen/Plzen to Prague/Praha.

https://www.cd.cz/eshop/search.aspx

To: Praha

Group ticket for 4 persons is CZK 358,90 (~ EUR 14,60).

Thus you can do this trip for less than EUR 50 for 4 persons together.

You don't have to get off the train in Pilsen/Plzen just stay seated. Here a possible connection you can use with these tickets:

Salzburg Hbf dep 11:08 RB

Landshut Hbf arr 13:21

Landshut Hbf dep 13:32 ALX

Schwandorf arr 14:55

Schwandorf dep 15:08 ALX,R

Prague hl.n. arr 18:58

Edited: 04 September 2010, 17:49
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,176 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bayern Ticket?

If 11:08 is too late for you, you can use the 09:08 connection to Landshut and throw in some sightseeing there. The city buses in Landshut are covered by the Bayern Ticket. There are also nice cities without the tourists hordes of Slazburg and Prague.

landshut.de/uploads/media/Landshut_im_Ueberb…

historical map city center

landshut.de/fileadmin/files_stadt/downloadbe…

street map with bus lines

landshut.de/fileadmin/files_stadt/downloadbe…

(bus to Altstadt or Ländtorplatz)

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bayern Ticket?

Wow abalada! You are the best! Thank you so much for this information, it is very helpful! Have a great trip yourself!

Jen

California
Level Contributor
314 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bayern Ticket?

I was just looking for this information!

The bayern ticket does not cover buses. So if I am in Munich and want to be there about a week using the local tranport and the sourounding area, what would I need? Do I actually need the buses there?

Next if I want to go from Munich to Triberg and then from Triberg to Obberammergau and then to Garmisch is there any pass that would cover all of those places or would we need some combination of tickets?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,176 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bayern Ticket?

> The bayern ticket does not cover buses.

Bayern Ticket covers all local public transport in the bigger cities in Bavaria like Munich: regional trains, S-Bahn, U-Bahn (metro), trams and buses.

It covers also all regional buses in Bavaria (e.g. from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Oberammergau). Some town buses like in Garmisch-Partenkirchen are however not covered.

> So if I am in Munich and want to be there about a week using the local tranport and the sourounding area, what would I need?

If you travel inside the area of the Munich local public transport association (MVV) the MVV parter day tickets will be the best deal for you.

MVV inner area (= city of Munich) EUR 9,40

MVV Munich XXL (Munich and a few nearby towns like Dachau) EUR 12,30

MVV entire network (includes e.g. Munich Airport) EUR 18,80

MVV day tickets are valid from the time of validating (stamping) till 6am next day.

If you travel beyond the MVV area use a Bayern Ticket. Does include the MVV. However time wise more restricted (on weekdays past 9am only).

MVV has a really good website in English

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/home/index.html

> Next if I want to go from Munich to Triberg and then from Triberg to Obberammergau and then to Garmisch is there any pass that would cover all of those places or would we need some combination of tickets?

See my answer #8 to your question in this thread:

tripadvisor.com/…28368467

6. Re: Bayern Ticket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2011, 06:26