We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday to Bavaria

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
79 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Family holiday to Bavaria

Hi I'm hoping to book flights to Munich in June or July and have a weeks family holiday with my wife and 2 boys (14 & 11)

Has anyone any suggestions for accomodation, places to visit, etc. We don't mind a holiday rental and like to cycle and use trains. We also wouldn't mind perhaps a visit to Augsburg and/or regensburg.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome, thanks.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday to Bavaria

We tend to prefer holiday rentals for our holiday vacations. Although this might not be the case for you since your kids are much older, we also prefer farm accomodation establishments, usually found by searching the net through relevant farm associations. Usually in this way you book a larger area than what is included in a standard hotel room plus facilities useful for a family ( ie pantry, kitchenette).

As far as places to visit and since Bavaria is a lovely area, I would strongly advice you to read a guide book first ( I usually get first info through Lonely Planet) so to choose places to visit based upon YOUR interests.

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
122 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday to Bavaria

What are you into? Cities or countryside?

Garmisch is a nice base....has great hiking, is an hour from Munich, an hour from the castles (other direction from Munich), an hour from Innsbruck.

Munich itself has a great Technik museum, I'm probably spelling that wrong, Dachau if you want to do that, the palace which is worth a trip (Versailles was modeled after it), the downtown area, and I'm sure other things that I can't remember.

Fussen is where you go for the castles (Neuschwansteain/Hohenschwangau and then Linderhof nearby) and it also has a luge that I'm told is so much fun. Paragliding too. My kids were too young for the luge so we didn't go, but other folks told me theirs loved it.

There is a great castle ruin near Reutte....can somebody help me out.....starts with an E.....Rick Steves is an honorary knight there.....ack! Can't remember but you have to hike up to it.

Regensburg.....has the cathedral and that's about it. Wouldn't go.

Berchestgaden (Hitler's Eagles Nest) is maybe 2-3 hours from Munich, worth a trip. Ingolstadt has something car-related, I believe?

IIf you Google ferienwohnung, and Garmisch, you'll get tons of listings for rental apartments.

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
79 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday to Bavaria

Many thanks. We like both cities and countryside so a 2 centre holiday or a base in Garmisch would be good for the train links. I shall look into accomodation and facilities in Garmisch e.g. Swimming pools, bike hire, dry luge, hiking trails, etc

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday to Bavaria

Hi msrockhopper,

I hope I can help you with some of your research --

You can rent bikes easily at at least two places -- the train station and at Transalp Tours on Ludwigstrasse in Partenkirchen:

http://www.transalptours.de/bikeverleih

Though the site is in German (it says it has English language, but it only translates the top row), you can use google's language tools to translate it. I bought my own bicycle at the same shop, and everyone there is happy, helpful, and fluent in English.

There are a few swimming places here. One is indoors (Alpspitze Wellenbad), and the others are the Kainzenbad next to the hospital, and the Freizeitpark Loisachbad on the west side of town. Of course, a lot of folks also go to the Eibsee (on the Eibsee bus) and take a dip in the glacier lake!

The summer sled course is called "Sommerrodelbahn Geisbichl," and its address is: Karl-u.-Martin-Neuner-Platz 3, phone --+49 8821/56676

There are numerous hiking trails here, from 45 minutes long to overnight trips. One of my favorites is the one that goes by the Pflegersee and ends at the 12th Century Werdenfels ruins -- pretty easy. It's about 1h30 from the middle of town, and there is a nice restaurant right at the Pflegersee. Lots more!

Have fun -- let us know as your plans progress.

s

5. Re: Family holiday to Bavaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2011, 05:17