We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please with Itinerary - Munich, Bavaria, and Salzburg

United States
Level Contributor
211 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Help please with Itinerary - Munich, Bavaria, and Salzburg

My wife and I (53/51) will be arriving in Munich on 5 October 2011, just after Octoberfest, and will be departing 13 days later on 18 October. We are in the early planning stages of this trip and would like to get your comments and recommendations.

Here is what we enjoy. We both enjoy small towns and “hanging with the locals”, staying in Pensions, bed and breakfasts, or small family-run hotels. We love to eat and drink with the locals and get the feel of "real" Germany mixed with some sightseeing. We also enjoy seeing historic sites/cities, scenic drives, and outdoor adventures (we would like to do some hiking on some easy-to-moderate trails). We are not into visiting museums or art galleries. We love walking around towns and enjoying what each town/city has to offer with food, bars, shopping outside of the “tourist traps”. Our preliminary itinerary is:

October 5 (Wed) thru October 7 (Fri) Arrive Munich and visit sights: Marienplatz, beer gardens, Englischer Garten, Viktualienmarkt, Nymphenburg Palace, Königsplatz, Nymphenburg Palace. (any other suggestions/must see)

Then on Saturday (8th) leave Munich. That’s where we need your guidance and suggestions for the next 8 days. Here are some of the places we are considering:

Initially, I thought we would train from Munich to Rothenburg. Spend 1 night in Rothenburg, walk around and visit the sights. Please offer suggestions for places to visit, hotels to stay and places to eat.

Then travel south (need your advice on train or rent car) stopping in places between Rothenburg and Fussen (please provide recommendations for places to stop and overnight if needed). Allow 1 (or 2?) nights.

Overnight 1 (or 2?) night in Fussen and then tour both castles near Fussen and maybe do some hiking along the lake, gorge and/or up to Tegelberg.

Travel the German Alpine Road (again need your advice: I think a car is best for this) visiting Oberammergau (is this worth the visit – if so how long should we budget?), perhaps overnight 1 night in Garmisch-Partenkirchen area. Visit the sights around Garmisch.

From Garmisch, travel stopping in Mittenwald then on to overnight in Berchtesgaden area. We would like to take one or two hikes in the National Park (suggestions please). We are mostly interested in places with great views/scenery that can be reached on foot (no climbing).

Travel to Salzburg, visit the sights, and overnight (1 or 2?) in Salzburg.

October 17 (Mon) train back to Munich.

With the amount of time we have, I don’t believe we can get to Heidelberg/Castle Road, Innsbruck, or Vienna. With other areas to see, are we spending too much time in Munich? Your thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

Gliwice, Poland
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please with Itinerary - Munich, Bavaria, and Salzburg

I'm not familiar with other places, but in Berchtesgadener Land you can

- take boat trip on Koenigsee lake

seenschifffahrt.de/en/4Seen/uebersicht.asp…

- go with cable-car (Jennerbahn) and admire views

jennerbahn.de/jennb/…

- go with another cable-car to visit one of the biggest ice cave (in Austria, but there is no problem with it)

eisriesenwelt.at/site/…

- visit Cafe Reber in Bad Reihenhall and taste Mozartkugeln

reber-spezialitaeten.de/website/parser.php…

- take another boat trip and see one of Ludwig's palaces

herrenchiemsee.de/englisch/n_palace/index.htm

Salzburg is worth of two-day stay in my opinion. Especially in the evening/night views are spectacular (but also in the day are beautiful - like Mirabell castle and gardens)

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,509 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please with Itinerary - Munich, Bavaria, and Salzburg

You have a decent plan and good amount of time along the way. But, to your point, Vienna and Heidelberg would be a bit of a jaunt, although you could maybe hit Innsbruck on a daytrip from a base in Garmisch.

For sure get a car from Rothenburg and keep it through to Salzburg. You should be able to get a one-way from AutoEurope on that route. If dropping in Austria is a problem, look for a drop in Berchtesgaden.

We've done the Romantic Road several times and visited the villages between Rothenburg and Fuessen, but never felt the urge to stay. Others will give you more detil there. We also have preferred the smaller village of Hoheschwangau (like the Alpenhof) over Fuessen. It's just across the street from Neuschwanstein. Small town but charming and convenient to castle.

Both Garmisch (Gasthof zum Raschen, Partenkirchen) and Mittenwald are great places to stay. Garmisch is bigger but better access to Zugspitze. Oberammergau (Hotel Turmwirt) is charming and a home for woodcarving. It's a decent base for exploring the castles but Garmisch probably has more going for it activity wise.

German Alpine Road is fantastic. Do allow a decent day of driving from Garmisch/Mittenwald over to Berchtesgaden.

Salzburg is worthy of two nights. Definitely stay on the Getriedegasse. Hotels Blaue Gans and Goldener Hirsch are nice.

Sorry I can't help you more on the hikes. Have fun.

United States
Level Contributor
211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please with Itinerary - Munich, Bavaria, and Salzburg

JPAWL,

Thanks for your suggestion of Königsee. Looking at the links, we are interested to go to St Bartholomä first, have lunch, then catch the next boat onward to Salet and go out to see the falls. There is a mention of hiking opportunities, but I have not been able to find a trail map. Any advice you have?

The Jennerbahn looks like a must-do also. However, I have not been able to fully understand the pricing for the cable car (the pricing is in German, so I used a translator). What is meant by "Last minute by 14:45 (full path)? Is that the last service?

Thanks also for the suggestion to visit Cafe Reber in Bad Reihenhall. Sounds outstanding.

Many thanks for your time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please with Itinerary - Munich, Bavaria, and Salzburg

Hi,

Just some suggestions:

I'd rent a car in Munich the day (10/8) you're leaving.

Personally, I'd skip Rothenburg and do something like this:

10/8 - drive to Berchtesgaden area for 4 nights (3 full days).

On the drive from Munich to Berchtesgaden area I'd stop and see "Mad" King Ludwig's Herrenchiemsee/Neues Schloss, which you'll be passing on the way.

Based in the Berchtesgaden area:

Berchtesgaden

Konigssee

Jennerbahn

Salzburg (25min. away)

Bad Reichenhall (20 min. away)

Salt Mines (either Berchtesgaden or nearby Hallein, Austria)

Drive the Rossfeld Panorama Road (starts by Berchtesgaden)

Zell am See and Hallstatt (each is 1:30 min. away, easy day trips)

10/12 - drive to Mittenwald and stay 3 nights (2 full days).

Mittenwald is simply the quintessential Bavarian village surrounded by mountains.

Based in Mittenwald:

Mittenwald

Karwendelbahn cable car (in Mittenwald)

The Zugspitze from either Garmisch or nearby Ehrwald, Austria)

Ettal Monestary

"Mad" King Ludwig's amazing Linderhof

Garmisch (ride the luge ride/Sommerrodelbahn)

Oberammergau

Innsbruck (an hour away)

10/15-drive to Fuessen and stay 2 nights (1 full day).

We found Fuessen to be a charming old town.

Based in Fuessen:

Fuessen

Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles (10 min. away)

Tegelberg cable car and luge ride/Sommerrodelbahn (a mile or so from the castle's)

Wieskirche (30 min away)

The Zugspitsze (if you didn't do it at your stay in Mittenwald)

10/17- drive to Garmisch, drop the car and train back to Munich for your last night

OR

drive to the Munich airport area, stay the night and then drive and drop the car at the airport. We liked spending our last night in Erding, 20 min. from the airport.

We've stayed 4 times (14 nights total) in the Berchtesgaden area.

We've stayed twice in Mittenwald (7 nights total)

We've stayed twice in Fuessen (5 nights total)

We have photo's at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Where we've stayed in these places:

www.mayringerlehen.de

www.friedwiese.de/enska/isl.htm

www.schwalbennestl.de/mittenwald.html

www.hotel-hechten.com

Hope this helps.

Paul

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please with Itinerary - Munich, Bavaria, and Salzburg

I'd rule Rothenburg in, if only for the Nightwatchman walk. Although touristy, Rothenburg has background on how Germany is now that you won't get in such an easy form elsewhere.

You would need an overnight there and I'd advise staying inside the walls. Make sure you walk the walls.

Gliwice, Poland
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please with Itinerary - Munich, Bavaria, and Salzburg

I found www-recommended walking tour: Malerwinkel-Rundwanderweg.

The difficulty of this tour is described as easy (3,5 km, 1,5 hour).

Unfortunately there is no english version, but I think you can manage this :)

…outdooractive.com/ar-bgl/…TourTab

Jennerbahn in October will be running from 9:00AM till 4:30PM. According to

jennerbahn.de/jennb/…

Last departure from lower station (Talstation) is on 4:00PM. Between 2:45PM and 4:00PM tickets are cheaper (last minute option). Full path means running to upper station (Bergstation) and back. There is also intermediate station (Mittestation) around half way.

7. Re: Help please with Itinerary - Munich, Bavaria, and Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 00:19