We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 10 days trip to beautiful region of Bavaria!

New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for 10 days trip to beautiful region of Bavaria!

Hi All:

My husband and i just booked the tickets for our trip this year. We will be arriving in Zurich. The reason we booked the tickets to zurich and back is coz tickets to any of the German cities were very expensive :( Also we have been to Switzerland before and this trip we want to explore the beautiful Bavaria region of Germany.

I have listed my tentative itinerary and would really appreciate if you could give us some suggestions or guidance.

Arrive Zurich July 28 at 12:30pm

Question 1: What are our options to get to Munich from Zurich? Any places that we must visit on our way? what about Liechtenstein?

July 28 - August 1 (5 nights) - Munich

August 2- August 3 (2 nights) Mittenwald

Auguest 4- August 5 (2 nights) Fussen

August 6 - Leave Fussen to come to Zurich. What is the most efficient way to get to zurich from Fussen?

August 7- Leave Zurich to fly back home.

We want to start booking the hotel but would really appreciate any input on the number of days in each location. Or if you have suggestions of other places that we should consider on this trip. The purpose of our trip is to enjoy the culture and relax.

Also, what you recommend using trains/bus or renting a car for travel between these places?

Please let me know if you want me to clarify or expand on my message above.

Thanks a lot,

Bijal

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 10 days trip to beautiful region of Bavaria!

If your plane is on time you can make it on the 13:28 direct EC train from Zürich Airport to Munich. I don't see there much time for detours. There are later connections either including the ferry Romanshorn - Friedrichshafen or which go via Lindau. Both places are worth a stopover. In the Friedrichshafen Hafen (harbor) train station there is the interesting Zeppelin Museum.

http://www.zeppelin-museum.de/home_en.0.html

And in Lindau the train station is on the island together with the old town and the harbor.

http://web20.icserver3.de/index.php?sid=1027

DB timetable

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en

Start: Zuerich Airport

Destination: Munich

You can buy standard fare tickets on spot. To buy discounted specials is risky as these tickets are only good for the connection bought for. The savings are also not that big. Standard fare tickets are flexible and allow also stopovers (e.g. Friedrichshafen or Lindau).

There is no overly efficient route from Füssen to Zürich. The direct (ideal) route is blocked by mountains. You can use again the DB timetable

Start: Fuessen

Destination: Zuerich HB

Munich, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 10 days trip to beautiful region of Bavaria!

There is a lot to see in Bavaria. Below is a small list of interesting sites within the state. I hope this helps.

Visit some of the best Castles in Germany -

…bayern.de/englisch/palace/index.htm

(also: http://gogermany.about.com/od/sightsandattractions/p/Neuschwanstein.htm)

Visit the local Brew houses that produce "Zoigl" Beer "-

http://www.zoigl.de/english/englishhome.html

See Nuremburg:

…about.com/od/…Best-Things-Nuremberg.htm

See the Romantic Road:

…about.com/od/…romanticroad.htm

See "The Eagles Nest"

http://www.kehlsteinhaus.de/en/index.php

Dachau and Flossenburg Concetration Camps:

…about.com/od/…dachau_concentration_camp.htm

holocaustresearchproject.org/othercamps/flos…

New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 10 days trip to beautiful region of Bavaria!

Hi Guys:

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my questions!

My husband and i want to do this trip in an relaxing manner and not rush from one place to another. Having said that i did look into other towns in Bavaria which are beautiful and we would love to spend time there. The reason i planned the itinerary this way is that we can spend 5 nights in Munich(city life, mueseums etc) and rest in the mountains( hiking, biking etc). this way we can have the balance our trip between experiencing the city and scenic Germany. Considering the country has so much to offer we definitely will be coming back!!!

However I really would appreciate if you guys can suggest the number of days in each place. Our itinerary is tentative with only the arrival and departure dates being fixed. Considering we have a total of 9 nights what changes to our original itinerary/plan would you recommend?

1. What is the website that i can purchase the tickets to go from Zurich and Munich?

2. We will have our luggage with us. Would it be practical to make a stop at Bregenz-lake constance-Munich? Do you recommend staying a night in Lindau? If we decide to make a stop, do we buy tickets online or when we get there?

Thanks again for all your help!

Regards,

Bijal

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 10 days trip to beautiful region of Bavaria!

Don't miss the Weiskirche (Weis Church), Oberammergau, and the Linderhof Palace. These should all be on your itinerary. The Weiskirche is probably the best example of Rococo style. You will think as you approach from the outside that this can't be what you came to see, but then when you enter, you will be blown away! Enjoy your trip!

Limulus

Huddersfield...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for 10 days trip to beautiful region of Bavaria!

Perhaps try a day trip to the Chiemsee, if you have enough time on your hands..

Direct train from Munchen Ost station (I'm pretty sure), to Prien am Chiemsee. The lake itself is lovely, and there are boat trips to the two islands, on the Herren Insel there is King Ludwig's palace.

Otherwise, Berchtesgaden and the salt mines, Konigsee are also great places to visit.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for 10 days trip to beautiful region of Bavaria!

The church is called the Wieskirche. It is about 6km from Steingaden, north of Fuessen. I agree it is very pretty, but hard to get to on public transportation.

One place I would vist from Munich on a day trip is Schloss Herrenchiemsee, King Ludwig's "Versailles" on an island in the Chiemsee,

Bavaria's second largest lake. You can take the train tp Prien. From the Prien Deutsche Bahn station you can either take an old steam train, bus or walk the few km to the boat landing in Stock. From Stock, allow about 2 - to 2 1/2 hrs round trip for the palace visit.

Afterward, you might take the bus from the Prien station to Reit im Winkel, the - what I call - picture perfect mountain village. There are several nice places to have your afternoon coffee and pastry with a great view of the Wilfe Kaiser mountain massif. . The trip to Reit takes about 1 hour, but it is a very pretty ride.

Munich -Prien - Reit and return is all covered by the Bayern Karte., EUR 28 for the two of you. Read details under "Bayernkarte/Bavarian Ticket" in "Search"on this Forum.

For train and bus schedules, see www.bahn.de

canada
Level Contributor
7,613 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for 10 days trip to beautiful region of Bavaria!

9 days, 3 stops.

Forget Lichtenstein, better stay in Lindau and take trips around Lake Constance. Bodensee is beautiful in Summer, especially if you like yachts. 2 to 3 days. Longer time means you can go further north like Konstanz, Insel Mainau and Meersburg.

3 days Munich. Or more if you can cut the other places.

Fussen and Mittenwald are in the same region, stay in one place and you take the short train ride to Innsbruck to change for Zurich.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for 10 days trip to beautiful region of Bavaria!

We had done a similar trip a few years ago ( expept the Zurich Part) and really enjoyed it. As Bavaria is indeed a beautiful place, you won't be short of choices whichever part of it you wish to visit.

I would also give a vote to Lake Constance which is magnificent and on route to Zurich and perhaps limit the stay in Fuessen- Mittenwald

, but this is again based on ones interests ( I am not much into mountains)

www.bodensee.eu/Hauptseite_en.Sample…

http://www.bodensee.de/

New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for 10 days trip to beautiful region of Bavaria!

Thank you so much for all your responses!! I really appreciate your help!

I apologize for not responding sooner as i had some personal things that needed my attention. Anyways, now i m back to finalizing my trip.

After reading all your comments, i am really interested in making trip to Prien. However the big question is how do i fit it in my itinerary without feeling rushed. So listed are couple of options that i came up with and am really looking forward to your input.

Option 1

Arrive Zurich

Day 1 Take train from Zurich to Lindau (Stay night in Lindau)

Day 2 take train from Lindau to Munich

Day 3 Munich - day trip to Dachau

Day 4 Munich - Any suggestions ?

Day 5 Munich- Any suggestions?

Day 6 Prien or Mittenwald?

Day 7 Prien or Mittenwald?

Day 8 Fussen or Mittenwald?

Day 9 Fussen or Mittenwald?

Day 10 Zurich

Day 11 fly back home

Thanks again for all your help!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for 10 days trip to beautiful region of Bavaria!

Because of your limited time I would consider to rent a car when leaving Munich on Day 6 and return it in Lindau, for example, before catching a train back to Zürich!

A route suggestion (you probably need to choose from)

Day 6: Go to Prien early (about an hour by car; watch out: Bavarian school holidays just started July 30; but in the week traffic should be ok) and visit Herrenchiemsee. In the afternoon continue to Reit im Winkel (30-60 Min)

Day 7: Head west on or around the Deutsche Alpenstraße (German Alpine Road) guide-to-bavaria.com/en/German-Alpine-Road.h…

At the beginning you can take a shortcut through Austria via Walchsee and get back to Germany in Oberaudorf. While going to Bayrischzell you will get beautiful views of the Kaisergebirge.

Continue via Schliersee, Tegernsee (or via Bad Tölz) to Mittenwald. (altogether 3h driving only)

Day 8: Explore Mittenwald and its surroundings.

Day 9: Continue via Ettal, Oberammergau to Schwangau/Füssen (where Neuschwanstein awaits you). On the way visit Linderhof Castle and/or Wies Church (both away from the road).

Day 10: Return car and get train to Zürich