We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Bavaria

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Bavaria

I will be staying in Bavaria for 2 weeks in August, while having 6 days of free time. The final destination will be Bamberg where I have business to take care of there, so here is my preliminary itinerary:

(Arriving on Sunday at 5:30 @ Munich airport)

Day 1: Munich airport --> directly to Salzburg for day trip --> Berchtesgaden (staying the night at Berchtesgaden)

Day 2: Ramsau (Hintersee) / Berchtesgaden (Konigsee)

Day 4: Berchtesgaden --> Fussen (walk around the city centre before sunset)

Day 5: early morning to Schloss Neuschwanstein --> Regensburg

Day 6: Regensburg --> Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Day 7: Rothenburg to Bamburg

Would this itinerary be too rush? Except Berchtesgaden which I will stay for 2 nights, for Fussen, Regensburg and Rothenburg I will only stay 1 nights each - would this be enough?

Since I only have very limited time, while I want to see both Regensburg and Rothenburg... while it's my first time to Germany so the Schloss Neuschwanstein is a must... Any comments/advices?

In addition, I will take train all the way long with Bayern ticket.

Thanks!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Bavaria

Sorry, I missed day 3... day 3 I am thinking to stay in Berchtesgaden one more day, or the following itinerary moves forward one day... but then I don't know which place worths one more day of staying...

I like quiet places, actually I like hiking but I'm travelling alone so I don't think I would do hiking..

In addition, if my final destination would be Bamberg, it's closer to gt from Rothenburg or Regensburg??

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
976 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Bavaria

Yes much too rushed it seems like you are spending all your time travelling and not seeing or visiting anything

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Bavaria

In my opinion it is a bit rushed but doable. It really depends on your personal style of travelling. I have done tours as rushed as this and liked it. And I can't agree with floydman51 on that matter. All the places on your itinery are rather small. So I think you will actually see a lot. Especially when travelling alone you can see quite a lot in a day, particularly in summer, where you have 10+ hours of sunshine. No time for lengthy museum visits, but if that's not your interest anyway, you're good.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in Bavaria

Be sure to go to the dbahn site and check out the times for your train trips. It would be too rushed for me.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in Bavaria

Thanks a lot for your advices.

If I don't go to Salzburg on day 1, and leave to Fussen on day 3... then I would have 1 extra day for either Fussen/Regensburg/Rothenburg, which place would worth for 1 more day?

Or alternatively, I would have to take away one place: Fussen/Regensburg/Rothenburg, which one would you suggest?

I actually like museum a lot, and usually I am a slow traveller. Last time I went to Holland I stayed like 9 days in Amsterdam... just to wander around museums... but then I don't have such length of time this time, so I probably would not spend much time visiting museum. Instead I would rather a relaxing trip, seeing different buildings and architecture or the nature.

Thanks again for your advices!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days in Bavaria

1 day for Rothenburg is more than enough in my opinion.

I personally would not skip Salzburg. For me, Salzburg would be the highlight of your itinery. But since you say you want a relaxed itravel, you HAVE to cut something.

So if you do Salzburg, skip Rothenburg and/or Regensburg.and/or Füssen

But I wouldn't presume making a decision for you.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days in Bavaria

Personally I think this is to rushed. If you are using the Bayern Ticket from Munich airport to Salzburg you do realize you have to use regional trains right? You'll spend an additonal 3 hours on a train on top of just coming off of a long international flight. Do you really think you'll have the engergy to then walk and see Salzburg in a day? I personally would skip Salzburg and Berchesgaten come back another time. I wasn't that impressed with Salzburg, overrun with tourists. And Berchesgaten I feel you really need a car for this area.

I would spend the majority of time in Munich, see Neuschwanstein if it's a must as a day trip from Munich. You could even go to Regensburg on a day trip. I would spend a night in Rothenburg then to Bamburg.

You still I belive would need to use the Bayern ticket to get to Fussen and Regensburg. Once in Rothenburg you can use the VGN network ticket to get to Bamburg.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days in Bavaria

One other remark: In your original post, you wrote: "while it's my first time to Germany so the Schloss Neuschwanstein is a must". This is strange, because for everyone outside of Germany Neuschwanstein seems to be iconic for Germany. Whereas most Germans have never been there. It is as if it had been built for no other reason than to attract tourists. It is pretty, even very pretty, but artificial and it cannot be experienced quietly without tourists. Moreover, it has never even really been put to real use. Whereas Salzburg, Regensburg and even Rothenburg are real towns with a long and interesting history and with normal people living normal lives. Being there you can feel that history and beam yourself back in time mentally. But I agree with the poster before me that IF you do Salzburg you should stay there longer. So my hypothetic use of your time would be:

Salzburg, Regensburg, Rothenburg. 3 + 2 + 1 nights, maybe with a short visit to Berchtesgaden on your way from Salzburg to Regensburg.

9. Re: 6 days in Bavaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:16