We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

september bavaria trip. please comment

Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Topic
september bavaria trip. please comment

flying into munich we will rent a car. first 2 nights in rothenburg to also visit wurzburg and nurnburg. then, drive to the alps and stay 3 nights in garmisch to sightsee towns and scenery in that area of the alpine road. finally, 4 nights in salzberg or berchtesgaden to do the same in that area. will this give us the opportunity to see the prettiest towns and scenery in the bavarian alps? are there other towns to consider staying in? are we trying to do too much by starting in rothenburg? (should we start with the first 2 nights in fussen)?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,607 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: september bavaria trip. please comment

Itinerary is fine. Albeit driving to Rothenburg ob der Tauber plus visiting Nuremberg and Würzburg in just 2 days is maybe too much.

You could drive from Rothenburg ob der Tauber via Füssen (directly connected by the autobahn A7) to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Thus you could visit Füssen and the castles in Hohenschwangau on your way to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Advanced reservation for the castles in Hohenschwangau is recommended.

https://www.hohenschwangau.de/765.0.html

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: september bavaria trip. please comment

You will be in Bavaria at the right time of year to see the Almabtrieb, the festival when the cows come down from the mountains. Here's a list of when and where they are. viehscheid.com/viehscheid-sorting-the-cows.h…

Mittenwald is a pretty little place about 20 minutes from Garmisch, but smaller, that you might want to consider. The most scenic place I've ever been is Reit im Winkl, south of Munich in the Alps on the Alpine Road.

Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: september bavaria trip. please comment

thank you, both! are there any other special towns or very scenic places along the route?

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: september bavaria trip. please comment

The entire area is beautiful. Lake Chiemsee is at the foot of the Alps more or less between Munich and Salzburg, but not in the mountains. There is a palace modeled after Versailles on one of the islands in the lake, and you get there by ferry from Prien. It's a lovely place to visit.

Calgary
Level Contributor
645 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: september bavaria trip. please comment

I'm doing a similar trip but in reverse.

My route between Berchtesgaden and Garmish is here:

http://tinyurl.com/7ajq34l

If you take the alpenstrasse the whole way it adds probably 3 hours over this route. I'm not saying that it's not worth it though. I just don't have the time to drive the alpenstrasse all the way.

Although you would need an Austrian motorway toll sticker for my route...

If pretty towns is what you are looking for you might consider one of your days in the Salzburg area to take a day trip to Hallstatt.

Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: september bavaria trip. please comment

thank you, both! rautakallio, if i understand you correctly, it would take approx 6 hours to drive the alpine road between garmisch and berchtesgaden. correct? and that would be without stopping i guess. so, maybe i'll take the route through austria (in reverse) of what you are doing. i assume it's a gorgeous drive? what do you think?

Calgary
Level Contributor
645 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: september bavaria trip. please comment

I got the six hour estimate from the times on this PDF file:

yougosave.com/maps/yougosave_German_Alpine_R…

I am assuming the Austrian route is quite scenic based on the topography shown on the Google terrain map plus all the photos available on the Google map. I may adjust my route to go through Reit im Winkl as suggested by a post above. It's kind of hard to plan the route when there are so many possible variations... I chose my route to (hopefully) minimize the time while keeping as much scenery as possible.

I have been to Garmish and Berchtesgaden before but I wasn't driving and visited Munich between them so I haven't seen either route first hand unfortunately.

Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: september bavaria trip. please comment

thank you for your reply! after i posted my may 22 question to you i found that same "yougosave" pdf. and, yes, i too counted the time to 6+ hours. also, i re-looked at your route on google maps, and agree with you that the scenery has got to be fantastic! trust that we'll both have great trips.........

9. Re: september bavaria trip. please comment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 07:41