We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base for Bavarian Stay

Launceston, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Base for Bavarian Stay

I have looked at Mittenwald on line and it sounds wonderful but gather it is not recommended as a base for a 9/10 day stay if other intertesting places are on the visiting itinerary.I would like to be within reach of Mittenwald and the Bavarian Alps but perhaps a base elsewhere that permits travel by train bus to other places such as Innsbruck,Saltzburg etc. I like old places, not too overdone with tourists and prefer not too large - Munich is too big. I love Austria and Switzerland so probably the Austrian/Germany border in a not too much touristy town but with good comminications - wife loves water (lakes etc ) but perhaps not possible on this trip. Seefield is probably too big and didn't they have the Olympics there? I prefer the unspoilt if possible - suggestions welcome, please.

Mike's Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours
Big Hat Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Segway Tours Munich
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours
Somerset,England
Level Contributor
976 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base for Bavarian Stay

I am not sure such a place exists. If you want good communications then you need the bigger places. Munich is usually the chosen base for the places you want to visit as its the easiest place to travel from mainly as the alpine valleys largely run north-south. Garmisch may be more central than Mittenwald but you still need to travel via Munich or Innsbruck to other places like Salzburg.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base for Bavarian Stay

How about a place on Lake Chiemsee, which is at the base of the Alps, more or less between Munich and Salzburg? You might look at Prien.

Another possibility is near Berchtesgaden, on a lake it the Alps. I've never been there so don't know if it's too crowded/toursty or not.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Base for Bavarian Stay

I was also going to mention Prien/Chiemsee. It's a major RR station on the Munich - Salzburg ( and Berchtesgaden) main train line, with a feeder railbus line to Aschau, and bus service to Reit im Winkl, one of Germany's most picturesque alpine villages. Herrrenchiemsee palace of King Ludwig II (of Neuschwanstein fame) is located on an island in the Chiemsee,. Boats leave from Stock, 4km on foot or steam train or bus from Prien.

Edited: 05 January 2013, 03:09
München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Base for Bavarian Stay

Well, I would recommend Murnau am Staffelsee:

murnau.de/en/9c0a12c6-f940-4721-5d99-ec0d522…

www.bayregio-murnau.de/english

It is a pretty village with a nice citycenter. Viewing the mountains, having a lake near by and you can reach all destinations you where asking for:

and here a link where you can check timetables of the trains:

bayern-fahrplan.de/auskunft-en/tripplanner

Launceston, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base for Bavarian Stay

This is fantastic help - thank you so much and I will research further all the possibilities suggested. I observe from the train timetable link that I could travel to the wonderful Mittenwald in less than one hour from Murnau. I am just hoping that Murnau or Prienz are not too touristy? Is early September a good time for this holiday? Many thanks once again. Anthony

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Base for Bavarian Stay

Hi Anthony,

we just spent the whole of this September travelling mainly in Germany & we had great weather. Out of 30 days away, we had 6 days rain.

We visited or stayed in most of the places you mentioned - all lovely.

We stayed in Seefeld just overnight on the way to Switzerland, & we certainly didn't find it too big - it was lovely & quaint.

Have a look at my trip report 3 weeks in Germany & you might get some ideas. Why don't you think about having 2 bases - one perhaps in Salzburg where you can do quite a few lovely day trips from & then another base around Mittenwald or Murnau. There are lots of lovely villages to visit & the trains are fantastic .

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Base for Bavarian Stay

Don`t worry Murnau is not that touristy.

And here a hotel in Murnau which I would recommend:

www.ameichholz.de

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Base for Bavarian Stay

How about Rosenheim?

It's not a tourist city but the Alps stretch from east to west a few kilometers south of the city. Wendelstein mountain (which has both cable car and rack railway to the top) and surrounding Alpine villages are accessible by bus. Munich, Salzburg, Prien and Innsbruck are all on direct rail connections.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Base for Bavarian Stay

In Prien, we stayed at the Bayerischer Hof, a nice place and very convenient to the train station. http://bayerischerhof-prien.de/

Also as Treplow says, if you stay in Prien (or even if you don't) you should consider a bus ride to Reit im Winkl, one of the most beautiful villages I've even seen. Here's the town website. www.reitimwinkl.de/en/index?season=summer

10. Re: Base for Bavarian Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 06:17