We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any side affects tick encephalitis vaccination

Parmelia
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
any side affects tick encephalitis vaccination

I will be travelling in Germany/ Austria from September--December 2013 and will be spending a lot of time in Southern Germany, horse riding , farm stays etc. I am considering having the vaccination for tick-borne encephalitis, as I am told ticks are quite prevalant in those areas. Has anyone had the vaccination, is there any side affects? Thank You

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,710 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any side affects tick encephalitis vaccination

Sorry, no idea. I walk a lot in Bavaria and Black Forest: I ve never had an injection and it s not occurred to do so.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any side affects tick encephalitis vaccination

When I was in Chemnitz in 2010, our walk in the forest led to ticks on both of us. Our hosts did a tick check after the walk and removed them with little tick removing tweezers! They explained the risk of encephalitis, but the usual practise was to simply remove after walking in meadows/ forests (easily spotted).

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any side affects tick encephalitis vaccination

I had the vaccination several times and did not have any side-effects. This does not mean it will be the same with you, however. I am not a medical doctor so I cannot give you professional advice.

This is what you find on German websites about ticks:

Many people suffer from flu like symptoms after the vaccinations. There can be more serious side effects concerning the nervous system. These are very rare, but they do happen.

In autumn and winter the chance of encountering ticks is lower than in summer. Only a small fraction of the ticks carry TBE, but there is also lyme disease.

4. Re: any side affects tick encephalitis vaccination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 05:16