We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwastein alone or neuschwastein + hohenschwastein???

HONG KONG
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Neuschwastein alone or neuschwastein + hohenschwastein???

I am going to Munich in early August and will take my time to visit the mother of all castles. Many posts here and in other forums keep saying neuschwastein only. I was wondering if the hohenschwastein is less doable / worth-visiting than newschwastein? I ask this because I'd like to buy the tickets online before I go. Thanks a lot.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neuschwastein alone or neuschwastein + hohenschwastein???

We enjoyed both castles. Hohenschwangau is where King Ludwig lived as a boy and has some interesting points, including his boyhood bedroom with little pinprick holes in the ceiling. The servants would put lanterns on the floor above, so it would look like flickering stars. It's right there at Neuschwanstein, perhaps a 10-minute walk, and only a 35-minute tour. I think it would be a shame to miss it.

HONG KONG
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Neuschwastein alone or neuschwastein + hohenschwastein???

And I am a student back in Hong Kong. Can I book for the student ticket? 1.5 EUR difference only but just want to make every cent count:)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neuschwastein alone or neuschwastein + hohenschwastein???

It depends on how much time you have, and your purpose for visiting. We enjoyed Hohenschwangau for the photographs and view of Neuschwanstein, but the castle itself was somewhat underwhelming when compared to others. A real treat however is Linderhof and if you can add that to your itinerary you will not be disappointed.

HONG KONG
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Neuschwastein alone or neuschwastein + hohenschwastein???

Do you mean the palace? What's so special?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neuschwastein alone or neuschwastein + hohenschwastein???

Yes Linderhof Castle (Palace)...Ludwig spent most of his adult life there and the grounds/fountains are spectacular, the castle tour was the best of the lot as well....

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neuschwastein alone or neuschwastein + hohenschwastein???

All the castles and palaces mentioned are interesting, as long as you are visiting Neuschwanstein anyway, I would recommend seeing Hohenschwangau as well; both are in the same town and within walking distance of eachother. Keep in mind that value judgements such as "underwhelming" are subjective, and may not reflect your own tastes.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neuschwastein alone or neuschwastein + hohenschwastein???

...and please keep in mind what the OP originally asked for, your opinion of castles, not my post...peace out!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,861 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Neuschwastein alone or neuschwastein + hohenschwastein???

We enjoyed both castles as well and if you have the time, I would definitely visit them both.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neuschwastein alone or neuschwastein + hohenschwastein???

I'm so glad I toured both castles. The guide at Hohenschwangau was much better & more informative than the guide I had at Neuschwanstein. He provided more information about King Ludwig & the monarch's history. The group was smaller & more manageable/tolerable at around 30 guests vs the 50 it seemed at Neuschwanstein. At N., one of the guests was scolded for taking photos b/c he never heard that you weren't supposed to by the soft-spoken guide who basically recited what he memorized in a monotone voice.

HONG KONG
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Neuschwastein alone or neuschwastein + hohenschwastein???

But I don't think I can do it in one day...and how can i get to linderhof from munich?? sounds like the transport will block my way