We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with trip details!

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with trip details!

We are a family of four (15 yr old daughter and a 17 yr old son). We will be flying into Munich on July 28th and staying in the area for 13 nights. Due to an insanely busy schedule and health issues we have not had the time to do the necessary trip research.

I (think) we will be staying the first 6 nights in Saulgrub. We are having difficulty in transferring the deposit from our US bank into the German bank.

Our son is a history lover and we want to make sure we see as much as we can while in Germany.

If you could help pick the top ten places to visit we would so appreciate your responses. We do enjoy fun activities such as floating down the Isar River.

We also have no idea where to go for the final seven nights. Thinking we should probably stay south since we will be driving to Genoa for a cruise on August 10th.

Please help!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with trip details!

Hi,

A couple of ideas for your remaining time pop into mind...

Drive the German Alpine Road (Deutsche Alpenstraße) to the east towards Berchtesgaden. Reit im Winkl is an interesting town right on the German-Austrian border.

www.berchtesgaden.de/en/startseite.html

http://www.reitimwinkl.de/en/index

In or near Berchtesgaden, there's Hitler's Eagle's Nest and the beautiful Königssee (take the electric boat ride to St. Bartholomew church).

http://www.koenigssee.com/en/

You could also head into Salzburg for a night or two to check out Mirabell Palace, the cathedral, and the fortress atop the hill, Hohensalzburg.

http://www.salzburg.info/en

Prien am Chiemsee is a nice lakeside town on Chiemsee, which has a couple of islands in the middle. One has another palace of King Ludwig, Herrenchiemsee.

http://tourismus.prien.de/en/main/home.htm

As far as driving is concerned, recognize that Austria and Switzerland require toll vignettes to be properly affixed to the windshield of the car to drive on their highways. Don't have one (or don't have it stuck to the windshield), and you can be fined a couple hundred euros / CHF on the spot.

http://www.asfinag.at/en/maut/vignette

…admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/…

You may want to check with your car rental agency as well. Some don't permit some models of their cars to be driven into Italy.

Zed

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with trip details!

Good suggestions from Zed.

FYI, the Bayern Ticket daypass allows families like yours to use all Bavarian trains and buses for a very reasonable price - 34€ per day for 4 adults; use it to travel from MUC to Saulgrub, for daytrips from Saulgrub, or when you leave for other Bavarian towns.

www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm

You can use the same ticket to travel to Salzburg Austria, or to travel through Austria between Garmisch-Partenkirchen Germany and Reutte along the scenic "Ausserfernbahn" route.

"We are having difficulty in transferring the deposit from our US bank into the German bank."

Most short-term visitors like you simply use credit cards for major expenses, and/or their bank debit card and PIN # ATM's (Geldautomaten) in Germany to withdraw cash from their US accounts. My bank routinely allows $600 in such withdrawals per day. You might just check with your US bank to ask about its particular procedures, if you haven't already done so.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with trip details!

Thank you Zed 1958 and Russ! Your advice is PERFECT! Below not in particular order:

1. Drive the German Alpine Road (Deutsche Alpenstraße)

2. Hitler's Eagle's Nest and the beautiful Königssee (take the electric boat ride to St. Bartholomew church).

3. Salzburg "You can use the same ticket to travel to Salzburg Austria, or to travel through Austria between Garmisch-Partenkirchen Germany and Reutte along the scenic "Ausserfernbahn" route." It will have to be a day trip.

4. Prien am Chiemsee is a nice lakeside town on Chiemsee, which has a couple of islands in the middle. One has another palace of King Ludwig, Herrenchiemsee.

This all sounds great for the first six nights!

We have now booked our 2nd six nights in Germany. We will head north to Neckargumund (10K from Heidelberg). Available home/apartment rentals are dictating direction of our trip. :D

I (think) we will then be out of Bavaria. Hopefully, I will find the correct forum.

Thanks again! You really don't know how much I appreciate the kindness of TA travelers.

Nina

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with trip details!

When you go on the koenigsee cruise, consider staying on the boat to Salat, that is, don't get off at the monastery, and walking to the other lake, it's totally gorgeous (nice path through forest around it too, I think there is a waterfall somewhere further on).

Also, there is a lake cruise/ mt Jenner cable car combination ticket available as the cable car is an easy walk from the dock.

Salzburg is totally gorgeous and it's possible to visit the fortress and walk around the aldstadt and to Mirabell gardens in a day as it is compact.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with trip details!

Thank you Ozzie2010. More excellent advice that we will use! We are very excited about the hike to the waterfall and very glad to hear you think seeing the Salzburg highlights in one day is possible. Have a beautiful day!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with trip details!

Thank you, we have had a beautiful day.... We arrived in Strasbourg after 24 hours of travelling from Australia...flights, transit and 3 trains..... What a delightful place to shake off the jet lag. But it's 1.30am here and I must still be on Adelaide time as am wide awake.

Salzburg and Berchtesgaden are 2 absolute highlights of our last trip and even if you don't have long, better to have seen them than not. I will definitely return.... Just not on this trips itinerary.....too much to see isn't there? Your trip sounds great, love the planning too. BTW the walk up to Salzburg fortress is really lovely, the skyline beautiful and it didn't take long, but if you're pressed for time, there is a funicular.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 00:48
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with trip details!

Oh Ozzie2010 the 24 hour travel day is the only downside of our trip. I'm dreading it, especially since I never sleep on a plane! Hope you rest up quickly and enjoy your holiday! ;))

8. Re: Please help with trip details!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 05:16