We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on base cities

Maryland
Level Contributor
426 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on base cities

I'm just starting to plan our vacation for early September of next year and wanted to get some advice on locations. We are a young couple and plan to spend 2 weeks in Germany and Austria. I was thinking of picking 4 base cities so we aren't changing hotels too much. We will only be using public transportation so we need places that are easy to get to and day trip from. We like to have plenty to do in the area and are most interested in history, scenery, and activities that we wouldn't get to do at home (US). So far for the base cities I was thinking Munich, Salzburg, and Garmisch or Fussen (or somewhere in that area so we can see Ludwig's castles, go up into the mountains, and relax with some beautiful views). Nothing is booked yet so I have flexibility for where we fly in and out of. Does anyone have any advice on a fourth area to stay in and why would you pick that? I appreciate any opinions. Looking through my guidebooks just has me wanting to go everywhere.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
908 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on base cities

You have an excellent basic plan. Confining yourself to this region gives you access to great landscapes, and cheap (Bavaria ticket) travel.

Munich to Salzburg easy by train and good for this ticket. Compact old town ( fortress, palaces, alleyways, gardens, river). Great day trips (Berchtesgaden, Hallstatt, Werfen),.

Fuessen lovely, also readily access from Munich. worth spending a night or 2, so you can include some walking, the Tegelberg cablecar, the lake, so many tourists just whizz through focused on the castles.

Garmisch- Partenkirchen or Mittenwald would be a good 3 rd base, Alpspitze has some hikes, Partnachklamm, G - P bigger than Mittenwald if you want more action, but I love Mittenwald for its picturesque small town feel (cablecar up Karwendel, hiking the ravine, lake walks, cycling).

It is actually cheaper to go from Mittenwald back to Munich, then Salzburg, as you can use the Bavaria ticket. More expensive to go point to point on the Austrian trains on this route as their Einfach Raus ticket not valid that route.

But you can go to G -P or Mittenwald from Fuessen, if you use the bus to Ruette, (then Bavaria ticket or check regular fare may be not much difference) on train.

So, a few days in Munich, then Fuessen, then bus and train to G-P or Mittenwald few days, then Salzburg (3 or 4 days) via Munich same day on Bavaria ticket. Easy travel. Lovely mix of big city, small towns. History, architecture, mountains, lakes, castles, fortresses, ice caves. .... :)

Maryland
Level Contributor
426 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on base cities

Thanks. It sounds like I'm on the right track. It's so hard to get started planning a big trip when everything sounds like fun. I didn't realize before that Fuessen and Garmisch were 2 hours apart on public transport so maybe I will do both of them and not add any more locations.

3. Re: Suggestions on base cities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 06:20