We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Setting up a central place to stay while in Bavaria

Gulf Breeze, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Setting up a central place to stay while in Bavaria

Planning on a June 2014 trip to the Bavarian region. Want to visit Munich, Salzburg, Castles, Eagles Nest, etc.

Looking for a nice area to stay for our 5 days in the area. Will be just my wife and 16 year old son and I on the trip. Looking to hike and sightsee. I use VRBO.com a lot when I travel but not sure what town/area to stay in.

Any suggestions?

Jim Smith

Edited: 22 November 2013, 22:15
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Setting up a central place to stay while in Bavaria

Travelling by car?train?

Gulf Breeze, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Setting up a central place to stay while in Bavaria

We will have a car while in the area.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Setting up a central place to stay while in Bavaria

Bad Toelz, south of Munich might fit your needs. It is very centrally located, and you can reach Garmisch, the castles, Berchtesgaden, Salzburg on day trips. The town itelf has lots of Bavarian character. Munich cann also be reached easily, best by train.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,962 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Setting up a central place to stay while in Bavaria

Best would be somewhere in the middle between the places you listed. Best somewhere close to the autobahn A8 as elsewise you'll loose too much time to get to the places you listed and back.

e.g. Prien or elsewhere in the Chiemgau region

http://tourismus.prien.de/en/

http://www.chiemgau-tourismus.de/

or Miesbach

http://en.miesbach.de/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Setting up a central place to stay while in Bavaria

To see all this, I'd suggest basing in 2 area's. The Berchtesgaden area and probably Fuessen.

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
975 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Setting up a central place to stay while in Bavaria

Jim,

sounds like a lot to do during your hols. My proposal: South of the Chiemsee there are some farms offering rooms for rent, I actually don't know whether they rent them also on a daily basis. From there you could reach Salzburg, Berchtesgaden (the Königssee is indeed impressive, if you want to know about Hitler you had better go to Dachau!) and Herrenchiemsee within two hours. You can then zip through to Neuschwanstein (will take you 4 hours approx.) and have your last nights in munich from where you can easily get your flight back home.

Holger

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Setting up a central place to stay while in Bavaria

"Will be just my wife and 16 year old son and I on the trip. Looking to hike and sightsee."

Hiking and sightseeing, hmm?

abalada's suggestion of Prien works on a number of levels for you. Prien is a stone's throw from the town of Aschau and the Kampenwand, a good hiking area with a cable car lift. You can see how close it is in this photo of the peak with Chiemsee Lake - a popular sailing and recreaational lake where Prien is located - in the background:

www.kampenwand.de/index.php…

Just outside Prien (on one of those small islands you see in Chiemsee Lake in that photo) lies one of King Ludwig II's Versailles-based palaces - Herrenchiemsee, which some say is the most stunning structure in his collection.

herrenchiemsee.de/englisch/n_palace/index.htm

If you stay in Prien, you will probably find a car completely unnecessary. There are direct trains to Munich (1 hr.,) Salzburg (1 hr.,) and Aschau (15 min.) Berchtesgaden can be reached in about 1.5 hours by train as well. 3 can travel throughout Bavaria on a Bayern ticket daypass - 30€ per day for nearly unlimited travel - including other public transport (subway, trams, buses, etc.) in and around Munich. To reach Aschau only, it's 4.60€ each round trip. If you have a car for these 5 days as part of a longer car trip in Europe, Prien would be a good place to just leave the car parked for a while. A car in Munich or Salzburg is a hassle and will likely cost you more than the Bayern ticket for gas and parking.

Castles: The Füssen buildings, like Herrenchiemsee, are late 19th-century palaces. You can find genuine castles in and near Salzburg:

http://www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Setting up a central place to stay while in Bavaria

Further to Russ' comments re Prien: From the Prien station there is a bus that runs around the Chiemsee, with its many small resort places. My favorite is the Hotel Malerwinkel. . Busses run also to Reit im Winkl, a delightful, picture postcard village with many hiking trails, ranging from easy to alpine. En route, the same bus goes to Unterwoessen site of the Alpen Segelflugschule, a sailplane (glider) operation where you can you take a ride with an instructor. (The pix next to this posting is Unterwoessen)

If you contact the Prien Kurverwaltung (the name of the tourist info. office) they can arrange lodging for you in hotels, B&B's (aka Pension) or private home. Check their website for contact.

9. Re: Setting up a central place to stay while in Bavaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 06:18