Could someone help us with our plans? We are a family with children between 12 and 16 years.
For the holidays our family of four has booked to fly in and out of Munich arriving the 21 Dec. and leaving again early in the day on the 3 Jan. We will be travelling a long ways and will be tired on arrival - we need to be back staying in Munich briefly before we fly home as we leave in the am.
Things we wanted to experience include:
- Bavarian towns/villages/castles (Neuschwanstein for sure) and scenery
- Christmas markets and Christmas atmosphere - trees, mangers, etc.
- a nice place to spend Christmas Eve and Day - church, music, time outdoors
- a great New Year's Eve and New Year's day with fireworks etc.
- winter activities like sledding, skiing downhilll, skating, sledding, luge/bobsled, sleigh
Places we wanted to see originally (before we tried to book hotels beginning a few months ago):
- Black Forest (Gengenbach advent calendar)
- Germany's Alps for winter activities
- Ludwig's famous castles
- Romantic towns and villages **
Based on availability, our options are:
- arrive from overseas in Munich - stay 1 or 2 nights
- move onto Berchestgaden area - can stay for 5 or 6 nights
- from there we have 2 or 3 nights - somewhere!!
- return to Munich at least 1 or 2 nights before going home - more if recommended
For the 2 or 3 nights after Berchestgaden area, we have found accommodation in:
At the start we can do 1 night Munich/6 Berchestgaden area, OR 2 nights Munich/5 Berchestgaden area - which do you recommend and why?
Where do you recommend we stay the 2 or 3 nights between Berchestgaden and our return to Munich out of the places listed (e.g. Rothenburg, Fussen, etc.)?
For Ludwig's castles, do you recommend staying close by for our 2 nights after Berchestgaden, or should we use those nights elsewhere and take a day trip to Neuschwanstein from Munich? If we do a day trip to Neuschwanstein, is it ok to go on our own, or better in a tour, private/group:?
What do you recommend for this itinerary and what are your suggestions overall?
What is the best place to be for New Years and our special Birthday (Munich or Baden-Baden)?
Since this is a first trip to Germany and the first time ever away during the holidays (plus we are celebrating a very special birthday on New Years Day) we hope to arrange a great holiday.
We hope you can help. Thanks!