We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dividing a week in Bavaria

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
25 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Dividing a week in Bavaria

My family of 6 will be headed to Bavaria for a week this Christmas. What I wish to know is:

1. Is it feasible to rent an apartment for the week in Munich and venture out from there each day as opposed to moving around?

2. We want to see Nuremburg, Neuschwanstein, Regensburg and Garmisch-Partenkirchen during our week. Is this too much or is each an easy day trip from Munich?

3. Knowing we plan to venture out to the aforementioned places, what is the best neightborhood to stay in Munich?

Thank you for your help!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dividing a week in Bavaria

It is feasible to do all that from Munich as daytrips but that requires a lot of travelling. Getting to Nuremberg, Regensburg and Garmisch takes at least 1.5 hrs by train one way. This much travelling wouldn't be my idea of a vacation. On the other hand, moving to all those places and staying there requires a similar amount of travel, since all locations are in rather opposite directions from Munich. I would probably skip Nuremberg and/or Garmisch and/or Regensburg, see more of Munich and go to Neuschwanstein in a daytrip. Staying near the Hauptbahnhof (central station) in Munich would certainly be a good idea. Can't help with appartments though. If you don't find one, check out AO Hostel Hauptbahnhof, Bayerstr. 75. Been there and can recommend it..

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
25 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dividing a week in Bavaria

Thank you for your advice. Do you really think there's enough in Munich to occupy us for a week? We will be there for Christmas so would like to see the Nuremburg market. Do you not think this is worth going for?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,067 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dividing a week in Bavaria

What are your exact travel dates? Please take into consideration that more or less all Christmas markets, at least in Bavaria, terminate by Christmas Eve. None of them is open on the Christmas holidays.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dividing a week in Bavaria

> Do you really think there's enough in Munich to occupy us for a week?

This depends on your interest. If Christmas markets are your main interest, it could make sense to stretch out for other ones. The Nuremberg Christmas market is renowned, but in my view it is nothing special (compared to most other Christmas markets in major German cities.) But for you, it might be worth it. Train connection to Nuremberg can be very good (ICE), but that's more expensive than using a Bayern ticket. Even if you get a good price by ordering well in advance, the Bayernticket (23 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 23 = 58 € for all of you and the whole day) is unbeatable, especially for the large group you are. It takes at least 30 mins (one way) longer. I would consider starting early that day (on weekends you can use the Bayernticket before 9 am, otherwise from 9 am on), stopping in Ingolstadt for 3 hours or so. Ingolstadt is en route anyway and also quite nice. That leaves you the afternoon and evening in Nuremberg. Take the local train at 9:40 pm to get back to Munich. You have then seen 2 major Bavarian cities in one day, travelled more than 400 km and paid only 58 € for the six of you. if you do that at the beginning of your time in Munich, you have a feeling of whether travelling like that is worth it and decide to go elsewhere. The other good thing about the Bayernticket is that you don't have to buy it in advance to get that cheap price. You can buy it anytime before your journey. It doesn't sell out and you are very flexible.

5. Re: Dividing a week in Bavaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 06:19