We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich Regensburg Rothenberg Salzberg Vienna

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Munich Regensburg Rothenberg Salzberg Vienna

Hi All,

We arrive in Munich 26/11/14 from Australia and leave Vienna 27/12/14 (would like to spend 10-12 days in Vienna) and would like to travel by train stopping at the above locations but am having difficulty understanding the train routes. It does look like it is too early to make any definite bookings but am just trying to get an idea if is possible

Any information you can give will be greatly appreciated

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich Regensburg Rothenberg Salzberg Vienna

Use a sample date less than 92 days out to see what train connections are like at the DB link at the very bottom of this post. Chances are your schedule in November will be very similar.

The first 4 cities you listed are accessible using the Bayern Ticket daypass - €23 for one + €4 per additional passenger using local and regional trains:

www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm

To find connections for these trains you must specify "only local transport" under "means of transport" when you do your search at the DB itinerary page:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich Regensburg Rothenberg Salzberg Vienna

Thank you that clarifies that it can be done for me so will try with other dates as you suggested.

Any further hints or suggestions for this trip would be welcomed.

Thank you again Russ

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich Regensburg Rothenberg Salzberg Vienna

Thanks for everyones input.

Would love some further input as to a route travelling by train,

Only things that I have definite in my mind is Arrive and leave from Munich,spend time in Rothenberg, Salzburg and Vienna.

From different reviews on this area we have now decided to spend less time in Vienna and more in Salzberg and have booked the sleigh ride for Christmas Day. Something special as we wont have family around us.

Really want to get to Rothenburg and possibly stay 1 or 2 nights. We spent a quick hour there on another trip and it is a must do for longer this time.

I am looking for suggestions on a route and time to stay in each area traveling by train. We are both in our 60's

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich Regensburg Rothenberg Salzberg Vienna

Thanks for everyones input.

Would love some further input as to a route travelling by train,

Only things that I have definite in my mind is Arrive and leave from Munich,spend time in Rothenberg, Salzburg and Vienna.

From different reviews on this area we have now decided to spend less time in Vienna and more in Salzberg and have booked the sleigh ride for Christmas Day. Something special as we wont have family around us.

Really want to get to Rothenburg and possibly stay 1 or 2 nights. We spent a quick hour there on another trip and it is a must do for longer this time.

I am looking for suggestions on a route and time to stay in each area traveling by train. We are both in our 60's

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,101 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich Regensburg Rothenberg Salzberg Vienna

just to be clear I guess you mean "Rothenburg".

BEWARE: there is also a place called "Rothenberg"; it has transport links and if you enter THAT name into bahn.de, it will give you valid information but take you to a small village south of Frankfurt in the Odenwald

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,476 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich Regensburg Rothenberg Salzberg Vienna

Also, it is Salzburg not Salzberg that you want to visit. Another chance for confusion.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich Regensburg Rothenberg Salzberg Vienna

Yes thanks for that Salzburg.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich Regensburg Rothenberg Salzberg Vienna

Thanks, that WOULD be confusing. Rothenburg

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
898 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich Regensburg Rothenberg Salzberg Vienna

I have only been to Salzburg in summer, it must be magical in winter. You could read trip reports to get some ideas, just type 'trip report' in the Salzburg forum search function. I have seen photos of Hallstatt in winter looking very postcard like, it's a 2 hr train ride from Salzburg.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Munich Regensburg Rothenberg Salzberg Vienna

Guten tag,

I am very confused. May the Bayern Ticket be used for a day trip to Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Thank you,

MrsJAS