We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt or Munich ?

terang
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Frankfurt or Munich ?

Hello fellow travellers. On dec 17 my family of 2adults and 4 teens fly into Munich for 4 nights, then we have 2 nights in rothenberg odt . At this stage we will use train travel and my question is, do we go back to Munich to fly out to London or go on to Frankfurt? The distances seem similar and I haven't yet booked flights. Car travel is a possibility but weather dependant as we aren't used to winter driving. We are hoping for a Christmas experience not available to us in Australia. instead of madly moving around Germany trying to see everything I hope we can soak up the atmosphere in these two places. Cheers for your input!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt or Munich ?

The closest airport would be Nuremberg, check if you find a flight to London from there. By the way, Nürnberg/Nuremberg is the home of perhaps the most famous Christmas market of them all.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt or Munich ?

The Stuttgart Airport is also near and it hosts one of Germany's largest, oldest and most beautiful Christmas Markets ( www.stuttgarter-weihnachtsmarkt.de only in German) which over twice the number of people visit when compared to Nuremberg's. There are also two smaller themed Christmas markets that attract over a million visitors each- Esslingen Medieval & Christmas Market ( www.esslingen.de ) set in the excellent well-preserved cemnter of this town and Ludwigsburg Baroque Christmas Market ( www.ludwigsburg.de ) set close to Germany's largest perfectly-preserved (all original) palace, the "Swabian Versailles". In Stuttgart, they have also taken great pains in preventing overcrowding and have been quite successful unlike many other major German Christmas Markets. Two discount airlines using it as a hub are GermanWings ( www.germanwings.com ) and AirBerlin ( www.airberlin.com ) as well as other more conventional airlines like BA and Lufthansa (perhaps now all the Lufthansa flights are on their subsidiary GermanWings).

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
973 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt or Munich ?

Hi,

certainly Nuremberg and Stuttgart have airports, but these are only regional airports and you will end taking a flight back to Munich or Frankfurt for one hour only - waste of time. Only if you look for an inner - European flight, like London, go for Nuremberg, as it is usually cheaper and quicker from the smaller airports.

My proposal:

1st: Go for whatever is cheaper, either Munich or Frankfurt or Nuremberg. given that you have to fly 30hours it doesn't matter, whether you stay in the train for 30 mins more or less.

2nd: If it is the same costs, go for Frankfurt, simply it is easier to reach from Rothenburg. Munich airport has renown that you can only reach it from the air.

3rd: When you buy your flight, check with you airline whether you can avail of a Rail-and-Fly ticket for your return to the airport (except Nuremberg). It needs to be booked together with the flight (except Lufthansa) and makes transport to the airport much cheaper and more flexible. It is usually valid on the day of flight and one day before.

4th: Did you also check trains from Frankfurt to London? www.bahn.com and not too expensive

Holger

Edited: 13 July 2014, 17:46
Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt or Munich ?

Contrary to the above post, the Stuttgart airport is anything but a "regional airport".

Delta and United fly non-stop to the United States, and Singapore Airlines, among others, flies to Asia.

Also, please consider that Frankfurt is a large, commercial city. Why not Mainz, which is on the other side of the Frankfurt airport from Frankfurt (airport is equi-distant from both). And Stuttgar is a nice city, but winter is not as nice as the other three seasons.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 18:12
Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
973 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt or Munich ?

Ok, I fly from Stuttgart every two weeks - I haven't recognized the three longhaul flights yet, I admit. Do they fly daily? However I don't see the point - Stuttgart is not really well connected to Rothenburg o.d.T. by public transport and by hired car it is in the wrong direction, thus it is not really an option.

Holger

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt or Munich ?

"and by hired car it is in the wrong direction, thus it is not really an option."

There is no wrong direction when trying to make a flight to London when you are in Rothenburg. The Stuttgart Airport is 1 hour 40 minutes from Rothenburg ob der Tauber, most of the way by autobahn. The Frankfurt Airport is 2 hours 10 minutes, the Munich Airport 2 hours 25 minutes, and the Nuremberg Airport 1 hout 39 minutes all according to www.viamichelin.com , the latter being only 1 minute faster than the Stuttgart Airport.

Because flight costs partially depend on airport use fees, both Stuttgart and Nuremberg should have the cheaper flights.

Oh, and besides the many other flights about Europe and those three flights mentioned which I all believe are daily, there are others to Doha, Qatar, and other places in the Middle East and Africa from Stuttgart.

terang
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Frankfurt or Munich ?

Thankyou all for advice, had a quick look at flights from Nuremberg, cheaper ones fly into Stanstead and we are staying in Surrey so Heathrow/Gatwick better options. Will happily look at all options as researching a holiday is as exciting as taking the trip. Cannot wait for a winter Christmas!!!

8. Re: Frankfurt or Munich ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:17