We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bavaria, Czech Republic, Austria for Christmas & New Year's

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Topic
Bavaria, Czech Republic, Austria for Christmas & New Year's

My boyfriend and I will be in Germany for the holidays and are starting the planning a little on the late side. We'll be in Hof visiting family for Christmas but are looking for places off the beaten path to visit from December 29/30 through January 2/3. We're hoping to find some suggestions for locations with outdoor activites like hiking, cross country skiing, or downhill skiing that won't be crazy crowded and expensive. Not sure if the culture in Germany/ Austria is like the US where everyone flocks to the ski slopes during the holidays meaning we should find other activities to focus on. Would appreciate any suggestions in Bavaria, Austria or the Czech Repulic.

2 replies to this topic
Freising, Germany
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bavaria, Czech Republic, Austria for Christmas & New Year's

How about Bayrischer Wald? It´s no so crowded like in the alps and the region at Grosser Arber offers a lot of winter sports and hiking. It´s also not not far to Czech Republik and the National Park Bayrischer Wald.

When I was there I like it here in Bodenmais: http://www.villamontara.eu/

Very personal service, nice rooms and great view over the valley.

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bavaria, Czech Republic, Austria for Christmas & New Year's

Thank you for the suggestion!! The hotel looks lovely. Looks like they may be all booked up already for my dates already. Are there any other places in the area you've stayed?

Reply to: Bavaria, Czech Republic, Austria for Christmas & New Year's
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bavaria