We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Fussen to Rothenburg; drive time-what to see?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Fussen to Rothenburg; drive time-what to see?

If traveling from Fussen to Rothenburg, by car, how much time should we allow in duration for this drive? What is there do stop and see along the way that we should not miss? If I try to map this route, say with Google Map, what roads will I be taking? Thank you.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,404 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Fussen to Rothenburg; drive time-what to see?

two options, really. Autobahn, in which case a little over 2 hrs. You could divert into Ulm, which is nice.

Or via Augsburg and Romantic Road- about 4 hours. Stop at Schongau, Nordlingen, Dinkelsbuhl.

A better route planner is viamichelin.com, in my view.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,559 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Fussen to Rothenburg; drive time-what to see?

Both towns are connected nearly directly by the autobahn A7.

What to see depends on the time you have? For the trip and even more for Füssen and Rothenburg ob der Tauber themselves. With a tight schedule I would say: spent more time in Füssen and/or Rothenburg ob der Tauber than to add any further stopovers.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,667 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Fussen to Rothenburg; drive time-what to see?

It will probably take about 2.5 hours to drive between them on the A7 autobahn. (Use www.viamichelin.com which we find to have accurate driving time estimates.) Several good stops heading from south to north are Ottobeuren ( www.ottobeuren.de ) which has THE church in Germany to see its interior at the abbey, crammed full of more beautiful Baroque religious items than can be easily comprehended. Ulm has the cathedral with the world's tallest church spire, climbable if desired. Giengen has the Steiff Museum, inventors of the teddy-bear. For something a little different, the underground iron mine at Aalen ( www.aalen.de ) which also has the Limes Museum dealing with Roman times on the border of the empire. Of course, there are many other interesting places you could visit also, but these are some of the best.

If you drive the actual Romantic Road which is for the most part an ordinary two lane highway that is nothing special (just some of the places along it), it will take much longer and unless you are going to take the time to stop at some places, it's not worth the drive. You could take a week if you would stop at all the interesting places along the route and take the time to see some excellent things, but attractions nearby not on the route may be as good or better. My free booklet on the Romantic Road lists something like 60-80 attractions along or near it. Such a multilingual free booklet can be picked up at restaurants, hotels, museums, tourist offices, etc. along the route, and then you can easily decide which places interest YOU.

United States
Level Contributor
211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Fussen to Rothenburg; drive time-what to see?

Thanks to all for the detailed information on this post. I am also interested in the responses. We will be traveling from Fussen to Rothenburg in October and are trying to decide if we should travel by car or by train.

We will arrive in Fussen by car, traveling the Alpenstrasse from Berchtesgaden to Garmisch to Mittenwald to Fussen. Our initial plan was to drop the car off in Fussen and take a train to Rothenburg. However if it is recommended, we can keep the car for travel to Rothenburg (after Rothenburg, we will travel to the Rhine area - Bingen/Bacharach/St. Goar/Braubach). Afterwards, we will return to Munich for our flight home.

I am interested in your thoughts and recommendations.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,667 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Fussen to Rothenburg; drive time-what to see?

Keep the car until the Rhine. You'll probably not be able to drop it off in either Fuessen or Rothenburg, and with a car you can see a lot of interesting places easily that you wouldn't see taking a train. Personally, I would drive the A7 autobahn between Fuessen and Rothenburg (as you have a car, drive down to the river below it to view Rothenburg on the skyline), and then stop at some places on the castle route between Rothenburg and Heidelberg, not necessarily staying on that route but visiting places on or near it by leaving the autobahn A6. (I would leave the autobahn by Heilbronn and drive along the Neckar River to Heidelberg.) One excellent place to stop is (Gross)Comburg Monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ) by Schwaebisch Hall ( www.schwaebischhall.de ), a nice town in its own right. This monastery is unique being walled and fortified, actually a large church within a large medieval castle.

6. Re: Traveling from Fussen to Rothenburg; drive time-what to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2012, 08:17