We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on travelling on a Sunday

Which Berchtesgaden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
85 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on travelling on a Sunday

My husband and I are planning to take the train from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden, store our luggage at the left luggage , visit Lake Konigsee (to Salet and hike to Obersee) and Eagle's Nest in the afternoon and go to Munich from there, all travel(except boat) using the Bayern Ticket. I was looking through the timetables for trains and buses for that day(Sunday) using bahn.de and have a tough time with my planning for early September.

1. The train from Salzburg arrives at Berchtesgaden at 8:08 and the bus 841 leaves at 8:15 from the BusBahnhof in time for the 9:00 ship out from Konigsee. Even though my husband and I are in our early 30's and fit, I dont think this is enough time to leave our luggage at the station and walk to the bus station in time. The next bus(839) is at 9:15, which means we will be at Konigsee for the 9:45 boat at the latest. I have heard that the 9:45 can get pretty crowded, so I would like to make it for the 9:00 ship. My question is are there enough taxis available near the bus station to take us to Konigsee and if so, how much do they cost approx?

2. I am hoping that there are some eating areas open near the Bus Station on Sunday. Are there?

3. If we take a bus(840) from Salzburg will that be covered by the Bayern ticket since it is local transport? Also are buses in Berchtesgaden covered by Bayern Ticket?

Thanks in advance

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
821 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on travelling on a Sunday

You have some very specific questions in your post...I'm going to try to answer what I can.

The bus/train station are really together so you can easily get from one to the other without issue. I have never stored luggage there but I have seen a few lockers outside of the station(on the track side). There aren't many and you would have to hope that one or more are free for your use.

There is always a cab line outside of the station. Don't know the cost to the Konigsee but it is about 10 minutes by car.

The station is a bit seedy...not unsafe by any means...just a bit seedy. I would not choose to eat in the small coffee shop there.

If you do Konigsee first, on a Sunday in Sept, it will be quite busy. Hikers use the boats as well for their jumping off points all around the lake for beautiful hikes. There is likely to be lines early if the day is clear. If there is fog around the lake, the boats don't go out til it clears. We have spent a couple of hours there waiting for clearing...just to start hikes!! That being said, if you get there by about 8 AM-8:15, I would think you would be safe. You have to wait in line to get your ticket, then you have to wait in line to get the boat that you are assigned... Can you get there earlier?? If you do get there earlier, you can grab some coffee/breakfast at any of several hotels right on the lake if you are waiting for the boat departure.

If you get on one of the first boats, you should then be finished with the boat/Obersee hike by around 12 or so. You have to wait for a boat with availability on the Obersee side as well so you need to build in a lot of time.

I would then take a cab up to the Eagle's nest from there just to avoid additional waiting since this spot gets busy as well. One thought is that you could take the Jenner chair up to the top of the Jenner instead of going up to the Eagle's Nest. The lift is located just beyond the Konigsee parking area. This is also beautiful views.

If you have the time, it would be a better idea to split these up or to take an organized tour from Salzburg so that you don't lose so much time waiting. The tours always have the boat tix pre arranged so you don't have to wait.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,132 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on travelling on a Sunday

You cannot use a cab up to the Eagle's Nest. Only as far as the documentation center Obersalzberg. The Kehlstein road going up from there to the Eagle's Nest is not a public road and only open to the buses of the RVO line #849.

rvo-bus.de/site/…kehlstein__2010.pdf

Most RVO buses are covered by a Bayern Ticket. Exceptions are

# 9547 / 847 ALM-ERLEBNIS-BUS

# 9548 / 848 Oberau - Roßfeld

# 9549 / 849 Kehlstein route

# 9507 Seegatterl - Winklmoosalm

# 9630 town buses Weilheim (Obb).

# 9000 town buses Holzkirchen

# night express lines in the county Traunstein

# night buses in the county Berchtesgadener Land

# routes abroad, i.e. the routes are covered till the last stop in Germany (excepted of this rule is however exclusively Salzburg Hbf)

> If we take a bus(840) from Salzburg will that be covered

From the last point I would conclude that the #840 bus form Salzburg Hbf to Berchtesgaden is covered.

Edited: 30 July 2010, 20:19
San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on travelling on a Sunday

I would recommend taking the bus vs train between Salzburg and Berchtesgaden. There is only a single track for both directions of rail traffic between these two towns and if anything goes haywire the trains can run VERY late. Early in the day you have a better chance of them running on time, but I would take the bus anyway.

CA
Level Contributor
85 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on travelling on a Sunday

Thanks for your help abalada and KimSanJose. I am now beginning to rethink about visiting Konigsee. I will try to replan my trip to add a night at Berchtesgaden and take the cab in the morning to the lake. If that is not possible, I might just go to the area and take a stroll around the lake or take a round trip without getting off the boat :) But its nice to get some reality check and ground reality.

CA
Level Contributor
85 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on travelling on a Sunday

EmilyC123 thanks for your advice!

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
821 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on travelling on a Sunday

Sorry..didn't mean to imply that you could take a cab to the Eagle's Nest ....only that you could take a cab to the bus departure area below the Eagle's Nest...should have been more specific in my wording

7. Re: Advice on travelling on a Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2011, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Berchtesgaden
Recent Conversations