We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berchtesgaden as a base

Which Berchtesgaden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Luton
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Berchtesgaden as a base

We fancy visiting Bavaria next year but it is such a diverse area I'm not sure where to base us. We would be flying so no car and we like to walk (15k no problem) but we are not actual hikers. Is Berchtesgaden a good place to stay for a week? Is there plenty to see and do in the area? I think, too, it would be easy enough to get to from Salzburg airport and we'd probably use taxis for transfers. How much would they cost?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Berchtesgaden as a base

You may find this posting of interest:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187299-i1624-k466…

You have a dense bus network which partly serves also toll roads and roads not open to cars at all.

…bayern.de/english/…index.htm

weissbach.at/tourismus/…index.htm

> Is Berchtesgaden a good place to stay for a week? Is there plenty to see and do in the area?

Yes. If you also want to hike even more.

http://www.berchtesgadener-land.info/

> we'd probably use taxis for transfers. How much would they cost?

Base fee is EUR 3,20. 1st km EUR 2,40, 2nd-5th km EUR 1,35. From the 6th km on EUR 1,25.

taxizentrale-berchtesgaden.de/800x600/tarife…

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
832 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berchtesgaden as a base

If you are walking 15 K, then you surely can call yourself a hiker!

We have been using this area as a base for hiking for many years. Initially, we stayed right in the town of B'gaden but as time went by, we realized that it is much more comfortable staying outside of town.....especially if it is hot. There are many guesthaus and zimmer frei to pick from in any of the small towns surrounding B'gaden or Salzburg, the rooms are generally larger and less costly than in town. We always have a car as we enjoy the freedom of going wherever and we will generally have another trip planned within our stay... a few nites in Hallstadt.......a train to Munich for the day......drives in Austria........Hohenwerfen castle....... or maybe down to Italy for a few days.

You can fly into Munich or Salzburg and get to this area fairly quickly. The trails are very well marked and there are English trail guides available everywhere!

There is plenty to see and do and even after many trips, we are still "exploring" and finding new things. You may want to think about getting a car if you stay in the outskirts since your room will be cheaper. What month are you considering?

Luton
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berchtesgaden as a base

Many thanks to EmilyC123 & Abalada for your informative replies. I've certainly got a lot of reading up to do. As to which month I'm not sure yet although we'd hope for good weather. I usually look up weather history to help me choose!

Cork
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berchtesgaden as a base

We used Berchestgaden as a base for a 7 night visit to the area in July 2011. We found the town to be well connected by public transport to everything we wanted to see and do!

As we were staying in a local hotel, we were given a pass which allowed us to use the local buses free of charge. This meant we were able to easily visit Koenigssee (including the walk to Obersee and the Rothbach waterfall), Berchtesgaden village, Obersalzburg & Eagle's Nest, Ramsau, Hintersee and the many beautiful walking trails in the National Park near Hintersee. We also used a rainy day to vist Salzburg - only took about 30 - 40 mins by bus to get there.

There are lots of sites to visit nearby and we found plenty of walks in the local towns, around the lakes and in the national park. We did nto need hiking boots, only outdoorsy shoes and all trails were well marked with maps available at the info sites.

Luton
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berchtesgaden as a base

Many thanks to CMCCork for your interesting and very helpful reply. I'm presuming you went by 'plane? To which airport did you fly and how did you get to Berchtesgaden? I've read comments about traffic to/from Munich which is partly why I think flying in to Salzburg would be better. Also, what was the weather like?

Cork
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berchtesgaden as a base

Apologies for the delay in responding, pc trouble...

We flew to Munich and then travelled to Regensburg for a couple of days before taking the train to Berchtesgaden.

When returning from our holiday, we took the train from Berchtesgaden to Munich - we used the Bavaria Ticket which cost approx E30 and covered both of us. The trip only took a few hours and we had to change train once along the way.. German trains were super efficient and the ticket machines/people at the ticket desks were able to give us a complete timetable including which station to change at and which paltform to look for there!

We travelled to Salzburg one day during our stay and took the bus. I had seen other TA forum comments about the bus being faster and cheaper than the train. Salzburg is very close to Berchtesgaden so if you can fly in there then it would only be a short drive for you.

We visited in mid-late July and the weather was mixed - grey/cloudy days with breaks of sunshine and a couple wet afternoons. Nothing bad enough to keep us indoors though and it was never cold enough to justify heavy jackets etc

Hope this helps!

7. Re: Berchtesgaden as a base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 19:16
Get answers to your questions about Berchtesgaden
Recent Conversations