We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Berchtesgaden from Salzlburg - Itinery help

Which Berchtesgaden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london, england
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Berchtesgaden from Salzlburg - Itinery help

Hi there,

We are coming to stay in Salzburg for 2 nights in August.we are basing ourselves in Salzburg right next to the station. We have noticed 3 or 4 of the things we wish to do are all in the Berchtesgaden area. which are the Eagles Nest, Salt Mines, Lake Konigssee and the cable car at Unterbersberg.

We arrive into Salzburg at about 3 pm on the Thursday and would be leaving 48 hours later on the Saturday.

We need some help in getting to and from each point in a short space of time.

1. Could we see the eagles nest, salt mines and lake konigssee all in the same day?

2. is the Eagles nest really worth the trip?

3. would a trip in a cable car give us the same effect?

4. When we arrive in Salburg we will be arriving on a bayern ticket from Munich airport, will this cover our travel to any of these destinations?

5. will a salzburg card cover travel and entry to any of these desitnations?

Lots of questions and any help is really appreciated

Thanks.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Berchtesgaden from Salzlburg - Itinery help

1. Unlikely that you could squeeze all three into one day. You could do the lake and the salt mines.

2. i don't think so.

3. The cable car up into the Alps at Konigsee has great views. I've done the cable car, the lake and then the salt mines in one day and was also staying in Salzburg.

4. The Bayern Card should cover your transport to all of the sights. Think of the Salzburg rail station as a German station when traveling to and from Germany. On my first trip, many years ago, you'd have to disembark on the German side of the rail station and then go through Austrian customs and immigration to get to the Austrian side of the station. But, that was a different Century.

5. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Salzburg Card. Try "googling" the name and see if you can find a website that lists the discounts offered on the card.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Berchtesgaden from Salzlburg - Itinery help

As an addition to TelePort's good advice:

2. is the Eagles nest really worth the trip?

I differ with Teleport here as I am a big history buff. The main reason I go to Berchtesgaden (have been 3 times, always base in B'gaden vs. Salzburg) is to do the Eagle's Nest + tour and for the fabulous scenery and other activities that you have noted. You can easily visit Eagle's Nest on your own using public transport. But if you are at all interested in the history of the region I highly recommend taking the following tour:

eagles-nest-tours.com/EN/…

It takes 4 hours and costs 50 Euros per person but is worth the time and expense. (You must book in advance, the sooner the better.) You will learn/see things you wouldn't otherwise. You will have travelled a long distance to get to this part of the world, so IMO it's a good idea to really take it all in.

4. When we arrive in Salburg we will be arriving on a bayern ticket from Munich airport, will this cover our travel to any of these destinations?

Bayern Ticket is good for one day only and is good for travelling from Munich to either Salzburg or B'gaden and around B'gaden for that day (within Salzburg you must pay separately). After that day you buy local P2P tickets, which are cheap.

>We have noticed 3 or 4 of the things we wish to do are all in the Berchtesgaden area. which are the Eagles Nest, Salt Mines, Lake Konigssee and the cable car at Unterbersberg.<

Well, then, it seems like you should base in B'gaden vs. Salzburg. B'gaden is a lovely village, Salzburg is a busy and touristy city. Should you decide to base in B'gaden my recommendation is Hotel Vier Jahreszeitsen. www.hotel-vierjahreszeiten-berchtesgaden.de/

A very lovely old hotel in the middle of town, lots of history, superb restaurant.

london, england
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Berchtesgaden from Salzlburg - Itinery help

Hi all,

We have realised that doing all this in one day isnt going to be possible. So have decided to try and do the Berchtesgaden Salt Mine, Konigssee Lake boat & Untersberg Cable Car in one day.

Can you suggest if this itinery is possible:

08.05hrs bus from Salzburg to Untersberg Cable Car (arriving 8.40hrs)

2 hours at Untersberg (return trip on cable car)

10.39hrs bus from Untersberg Cable Car to Berchtesgaden (arriving 11.01hrs)

11.15hrs bus from Berchtesgaden to Lake Konigssee (arriving at 11.24hrs)

3 hours at Lake Konigssee (return trip to St Bartholomews and have lunch)

14.30hrs bus from Lake Konigssee to Berchtesgaden (arriving at 14.43hrs)

15.15hrs bus from Berchtesgaden to Salzbergwerk (arriving at 15.20hrs)

2 hours at Salt Mine (Tour)

17.20hrs bus from Salzbergwerk back to Salzberg (arriving at 18.04hrs)

Have we given ourselves enough time at each place?

Thanks.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,549 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Berchtesgaden from Salzlburg - Itinery help

Why not the Jenner cable car?

http://www.jennerbahn.de/de/englisch/

Better views and the valley station is close to the boat piers of the Königssee. This is also the one TelePort recommended in his answer point 3.

london, england
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Berchtesgaden from Salzlburg - Itinery help

Hi

Thanks for your quick reply.

The reason we were picking Untersberg Cable Car over Jenner is that the next day we were hoping to go to the Eagles Nest.

We thought that the view from the Eagles Nest would be the same as the view from Jenner.

Is this the case?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
885 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Berchtesgaden from Salzlburg - Itinery help

I haven't been to the Eagles Nest, but our one day trip from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden went like this.

8.10 am bus from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden. Arrived in time for the 9am lake Konigsee boat. Did not disembark at St Bartholomew but went on to end of lake and did the lovely walk at the next lake.

Early lunch at one of the cafes. Stroll to Jennerbahn.

Great cablecar ride, lovely walk to summit with outlook over the lake just crossed. Many hiking trails.

Returned to Salzburg by about 4 or 5, no rushing, totally gorgeous day.

We did the Untersberg on a separate day, nice, but not nearly as panoramic as Jenner, where you get the lake outlook as well as being surrounded by mountains. I would skip Untersberg and include Jenner.

wirral
Level Contributor
12 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Berchtesgaden from Salzlburg - Itinery help

i actually found that car hire from just over the road from salzburg train station to be very cheap and saved allot of time getting to places.

8. Re: Visiting Berchtesgaden from Salzlburg - Itinery help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Berchtesgaden