We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough to fill a week?

Which Berchtesgaden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Enough to fill a week?

My mum and I are thinking of booking a week's holiday in Berchtesgaden, probably next May or June, or possibly September (is there a best time to visit?) My question is, would there be enough to fill a week if we stay in this one place? We like beautiful scenery, but not long walks, picturesque towns/villages and historic architecture. We prefer to be able to get around easily by public transport and do our own thing, rather than book on to organised tours. We like to be seeing and doing, rather than sitting about. How easy would it be to see the best of this area by bus or train? What places/sights do people recommend we see? Many thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough to fill a week?

You won't be bored spending a week in Berchtesgaden. There are good bus connections to the Kehlsteinhaus (aka Eagles Nest), Koenigsee lake, Jenner mountain (gondola lift), Salzburg (45 minutes by bus) , the salt mine, Ramsau, short hikes to restaurants overlooking the town and mountains., etc., etc. For trains from Munich airport to B'gdn check www.bahn.de, English language version. You can use the Bayern Ticket for that trip, EUR 26 for the two of you. Only Regio trains, but that is all that run to B'gdn.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough to fill a week?

Good advice from Treplow.The only thing i would add is that the road up to Eagles Nest usually doesn't open until at least mid-May and sometimes in closed off and on until early June. So if this is a destination suggest you plan your timing accordingly.

I see that you don't care for organized tours, neither do I. You can go to the Eagles Nest and the Documentation Center on your own, for sure, but I highly recommend going with a half day tour. You learn so much more that way. We have gone on the following tour 3 times and loved it every time:

eagles-nest-tours.com/EN/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough to fill a week?

Hi,

I'd go with a September trip. We love this area in the fall.

While we've haven't used public transportation, we've spent a total of 14 nights in the Berchtesgaden area during trips in 10/06, 10/07, 9/09 and 11/10. I doubt you'll run out of things to see, do and taking different walks. Don't overlooik a visit to Bad Reichenhall if you do stay in the area. As stated above:

Berchtesgaden

Konigsee

Jennerbahn cable car (right next to Konigsee)

Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest)

Salzburg

Bad Reichenhall

Salt Mine Tour

Just to name a few.

…berchtesgadener-land.com/en/….html

www.koenigssee.com/en/

If interested, we love our stays in Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden at the Pension Mayringerlehen. Planning on returning next year also. This is less than a 5 minute walk from the bus stop and 10 minutes drive (bus ride) from Berchtesgaden itself.

www.mayringerlehen.de

www.ramsau.de

We have some photo's (3 "pages" of them) at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Paul

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Enough to fill a week?

September is the better season. May can still be wintery at higher altitudes and muddy in lower areas, and June is notorious for lots of rain in the Bavarian Alps.

Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enough to fill a week?

Very many thanks for all your excellent information and tips on where (and when) to visit. September in Berchtesgaden is sounding like a great option for us, especially having seen the blue skies (thank you, Paul, for sharing your beautiful photos - I hope the sun shines as brightly when we're there!) Thanks also to Treplow for the public transport details and to Kim for the tour recommendation (we don't mind the odd guided tour, but don't want to be herded about - you know the kind of thing...). It's great to hear from people who know and love the area. Looking forward now to planning our trip!

Best wishes, Jo

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enough to fill a week?

Hi Jo,

I'm sure you'll love the area and have a great time. Post again if and when more questions come up. Have fun planning!

Paul

7. Re: Enough to fill a week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Berchtesgaden
Recent Conversations