We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in Berchtesgaden

Which Berchtesgaden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Walking in Berchtesgaden

We are going to Berchtesgaden in July to walk in the mountains. We are English and at the moment have been unable to identify a good travel guide for the area in English. Found lots regarding the Eagles Nest. Hopefully, somebody can answer my question. Also, as we would be staying in the mountain huts can we join the equivalent of a youth hostel to make the walking holiday slightly cheaper?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
902 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in Berchtesgaden

Great walking area. I recall only using the tourist website that marked the many trails available. Lots of excellent easy walks that are well used, ie the Obersee to the waterfall (at Koenigsee), the ice chapel, seemed to be many trails heading off at Mt Jenner (truly beautiful), Ramsau has pleasant walks. You may be looking for more challenging hikes....my uncle climbed the Watzmann.... but we were happy to view it from the lake and Mt Jenner! Berchtesgaden TI is bound to be able to help you.

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in Berchtesgaden

Thank you. I will call the Tourist Information at Berchtesgaden to see if they can aso recommend a good book regarding the walks in the area.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in Berchtesgaden

I suggest when you get to Berchtesgaden, you go to (not call) the Kurverwaltung Berchtesgaden (tourist information office) and get their suggestions. Also, a Wanderkarte (hiking map) will be very helpful. You most likely can get can get it at the Kurverwaltung or in any bookstore.

There are many hiking trails in B'gdn, but it helps to get their grading as to difficulty. There is a big difference between the Soleleitungsweg (easy) and hiking the Watzmann.

Ontario, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking in Berchtesgaden

Sally,

My wife and I have stayed in Ramsau (several km from Bg.) on two prior occasions and we are going to be thee once again in June this year, we enjoyed the area that much. I would suggest the really nice walks are to be found in and around the area of Ramsau, more so than Bg. Visit the tourist Büro in Ramsau and request a map (they speak English) of the local area. If you are reasonably fit, (we are in our 50's) consider taking the Hirscheckbahn am Hochschwarzeck (Euro 9.50 + per adult) chairlift to the Tote Mann then walking down. It’s challenging (steep zigzag pathways) but not overly so, if you are in reasonable shape; just be sure to wear decent hiking footwear, take a bottle of water x2 and dress accordingly. The views on the way down are spectacular, and (bonus) there are two Gastfhof to rest in along the way, one being Der Bergasthof Gerstreit. Superb scenery!!! – suggest you plan for a 4 hr. (mostly downhill trek). Incidentally we are going to be in Ramsau first two weeks in June 2013 and will be doing this trek again, and we are closer to 60 years of age. If you desire a more “relaxed” stroll, suggest you drive from Bg, to Ramsau, to the Hirschsee. It’s a nice level stroll around the perimeter of the lake, approx. 1.5 - 2 hrs. (easy) and consider dining at Gasthof Wörndlhof. In the summer months they have a wonderful bier garten. If you need would like more info send us an email at;- jbrett95@hotmail.com. I am Cdn and my wife is from Glasgow. We sincerely hope you have a wonderful vacation in Bavaria.

5. Re: Walking in Berchtesgaden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 06:17