We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berchtesgaden

Which Berchtesgaden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hoover, alabama
Level Contributor
36 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Berchtesgaden

Considering a day trip with Viator from Munich to Berchtesgadan. I have a problem with motion sickness. How is the bus trip there? How long a ride is it? I will be going in July. Thanks.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
624 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berchtesgaden

Hi susanHoover,

I am by no means an expert on this area as I haven't been myself yet but have done a little research already.

It is possible to get the train from Munich to Salzburg and then it's only 45 minutes on the bus to Berchtesgaden. Depends on how many nights you have for your vacation but there is so much to do in Berchtesgaden and you won't be able to fit it in on one day. Also depends on what you wish to do. The train travel from Munich to Salzburg is very cheap - only 27 euros for two - think it goes up in 2 euro increments for additional travellers - I'm not sure but I think it's up to 5 people. The web site is www.bahn.de and there's a flag at the top to change from German to English.

Hope this helps

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berchtesgaden

susanHoover and valleygirl:

@ “The train travel from Munich to Salzburg is very cheap - only 27 euros for two”

- This will also include the bus that you take from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden. AND all the way back (Berchtesgaden to Munich) if it is the same day.

@ ”think it goes up in 2 euro increments for additional travellers - I'm not sure but I think it's up to 5 people”

- The Bayern Ticket starts at €23 (one person), then add €4 for every additional person up to 5 total. So 3 people would be €31 total, 5 would be €39. These people do not have to be related in any way, just traveling together. These prices are if you buy the BT from a machine (ie an un-manned counter). If you buy it from a person at a counter, it is just €2 more, total. Not for each person. So for 3 people it would be €33. I would suggest for the first time, buy it from a counter, then the next time you need it, try the machine, they switch to English.

ALL people that are traveling must sign the Bayern Ticket.

Make sure you understand the time restrictions on the BT.

But whatever you do, don’t miss Berchtesgaden……my favorite place in Bavaria.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,927 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Berchtesgaden

While it is possible to travel on a Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden via Salzburg you can also travel to Berchtesgaden completely by train changing trains in Freilassing. Bayern Ticket does also cover all local public transport in Munich and the buses in Berchtesgaden (albeit not the buses up to the Eagle's Nest (Kehlsteinhaus)).

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

http://www.blb.info/4_bildergalerie.asp

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: München Hbf

Destination: Berchtesgaden Hbf

and select as means of transport "only local transport" if you plan to use a Bayern Ticket.

Best would be a Sa or Su for this trip as on these days the Bayern Ticket is also valid before 9am. If you travel on a weekday and want to use the 08:54 train from Munich buy additionally MVV 1 zone single trip tickets (EUR 2,60 per person). These cover the trip to München Ostbahnhof from where this train departs past 9am.

Wood Dale, Illinois
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Berchtesgaden

Hey when you say all must sign the bayern ticket, does that include children (ages 8 and 5)?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,927 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Berchtesgaden

"Signing" is actually not true. You have to write the names of all "persons" on it. Readable!

> Hey when you say all must sign the bayern ticket, does that include children (ages 8 and 5)?

Let's start with the easier part, the 5 years old. Children under 6 won't need any ticket at all. Thus have not to be listed either.

With an 8 years old it depends. Not if you travel on the "family version" of the Bayern Ticket. The family rule is that (grand)children under 15 years are free and don't count as persons with the Bayern Ticket if they are the (grand)children of the first person on the ticket and if there are no more than 2 persons 15 years or older traveling on the ticket. Thus if your family is the 2 parents and all children are younger than 15 years you only need to buy a Bayern Ticket for 2 persons. And only these 2 have to be listed on the ticket.

Assuming the children are 15y and 8y old the family ticket rule would no more apply. You would need a Bayern Ticket for 4 persons. And than all four incl. the 8y old have to be named on the ticket.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 18:36
Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berchtesgaden

Thank you abalada.....you always save the day!!

Wood Dale, Illinois
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Berchtesgaden

Thanks for clearing up the writing versus signing, especially since my signature is completely illegible :)

The family version you speak of is the same ticket right, it is just a rule that applies if you meet the requirements? Meaning, I don't buy a different version of the ticket itself right, just a regular old bayern ticket for 2 people?

Thank you so much!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,927 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Berchtesgaden

> Meaning, I don't buy a different version of the ticket itself right, just a regular old bayern ticket for 2 people?

Yes.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berchtesgaden

Have a great time. I concur with others here that a train trip would be better for your day trip, giving you more time for siteseeing and photography. German trains are reliable and very comfortable. When you're there, make sure you take a taxi or walk to Schönau and take the boat tour of the Königssee. You and your camera won't regret it. If you have more time, ride the Jennerbahn cable car just around the corner from the boat tour embarcation point. Spectacular views!

Edited: 06 July 2014, 21:26
10. Re: Berchtesgaden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:16